Tuesday, January 26, 2010

One CRAZY story and What I wore today.

Happy Tuesday my darling readers! I hope you’ve all had a wonderful day doing whatever it is that you do.

First things first, I called my Doctor today to get the result of the Ultra Sound and unfortunately, they haven’t arrived so I’m still playing the waiting game. However, I wanted to express my heartfelt thanks to all of you for your kind words. I am truly grateful for your thoughts and your prayers. I will certainly keep you abreast of the situation as it unfolds.

Before I get to my crazy story, I’d like to share my OOTD with you. I must apologize for the multiple pictures of my Franco Sarto Mary Janes but I really love these shoes. They’re not only super comfy but classic as well. I wish they came in purple!

Here's what I wore today:











Sweater: F21
Cami: Smart Set
Skirt: Smart Set
Fishnets: Ellen Tracy
Shoes: Franco Sarto
Bracelets: Suzy Shier, The Bay


Now onto my Crazy Story.

I have a situation that I would love to get your thoughts on. I don’t normally enjoy writing about work since this blog is a means to get away from it all. But I have a situation that I would love to hear your thoughts. So, please don’t hold back and do let me know how you honestly feel about this.

The story I’m going to tell you is sooooo out of this world. You might actually think that I’m outright lying but it’s the honest truth.

A long time ago, in a previous life, this individual worked for me. She was a Temporary staff who assisted in the office. I had heard horrible things about her prior to coming into the department but chose to ignore them.

I should preface by saying that I’m one of those stubborn individuals where unless I’ve heard it with my own ears and seen it with my own eyes, it’s simply not reality to me; it’s merely someone else’s opinion.

Anyway, I was told of her atrocious attendance plus her BAD attitude but decided to give her an opportunity to prove herself with me. In the first 3 months managing the area, she called in sick half a dozen times. I called her in and told her that she needed to watch her attendance. I also asked for a Doctor’s note every time she was ill.

After our conversation she got better but then not quite 4 months passed and she reverted back to her old ways. I was ready to get rid of her when 2 other staff members went on Maternity Leave. (For my US based friends, we get 1 year Maternity Leave here in Canada). With the departure of both my staff, I didn’t quite have a choice, but to keep her.

We spoke yet again and she got better. In the meantime, she announced that she was getting married. Her wedding was 8 months away and she was on her best behavior, that was until her “to be husband” went to jail. (Oh My Gosh! Until this point in my life, I had yet to meet anyone who knew of anyone who had gone to Jail! I must honestly lead a very sheltered life! Anyway, I digress.)

With him in Jail, she would then ask to take certain afternoons off so that she could 1.) Visit him; 2.) See his lawyer to ensure that he would be out of jail in time for their wedding.

Luckily, her winner of a future husband, was released from jail in time for them to get married. Phew! Talk about luck, huh?!

With the exception of the dress incident (which I will get into much later), she got married without a hitch. Since my relationship with her was somewhat amicable at that time, and since everyone in our organization was invited to her wedding, we attended. It was a nice afternoon / evening, though I should mention that her verbal request for Cash as a wedding gift was a tad tasteless. Nonetheless, we all gave her cash – of which she told us she used to pay off debts (not wedding debts. Just debts).

She returned to work right after the wedding and spent the next 5 days arguing with the Caterer. She was upset with the Caterer because they didn’t leave her the leftovers from the reception. She threatened to sue them. Long story short, she got nothing from the numerous arguments.

I continued to keep her because 1.) We were on a hiring freeze; 2.) She worked hard when she was at work – problem was keeping her at work. Since I couldn’t hire anyone and seeing that now, I was 4 people short (2 still on Mat Leave, and another 2 on Short-Term Disability), I kept her on.

While she had done a number of functions for me in the department, I finally moved her into a more steady position. She was to be our Data Entry Clerk. She trained with 2 different individuals over a period of 3 months and assured me that she could do the job.

4 months into the new position of Data Entry Clerk, I started finding huge errors in her entries… and I mean HUGE!!! I spoke with her yet again and she assured me that there would be no further errors.

We tried it for another week and still the errors continued. I called her in and told her that if she continued making the errors, I would have to write her up. Unbeknown st to me, behind my back, she was running to “influential people” in a different area asking if they could assist her by making her Permanent in my department (remember, she’s a temp?). After our conversation, she ran to those “influential people” yet again and told them that I had threatened her and that she was working in fear. Apparently, I’ve got Gestapo tendencies. Imagine that!

We sat down yet again and I told her that I would personally work with her and train her to be the best that she could be. That lasted 2 days for the mistakes continued, but now, worse than ever.

I had had it at this point so I called her in and told her that I was appointing someone else to do the job. Hearing this, she immediately said, “I really don’t want to do this job anymore. I hate it and I have no interest in learning how to do this job right.” I was appalled. She is after all a Temp.

She told me that she lacked attention to details. Really??? I never knew!!! She told me that she only excels at what she enjoys doing. No Kidding!!! She then went on to say that the mistakes she made were due to stresses in her life, specifically that her husband has not worked since before he went to jail. Sorry honey, you make that bed, you lie in it.

She then brought up the details about her wedding dress. Remember I told you that I was going to tell you all about her dress?

When she decided to get married, she decided that she was going to wear her sister’s wedding dress. Her sister was getting married 2 months before her so why buy another dress when you can wear another for free. I’m really cool with that. (I’m honestly not being facetious). So after her sister’s wedding, I spoke with her every 2nd day asking if she’s tried on the dress yet. She would reply, no she hadn’t. She was trying to lose weight for her wedding. Every second day I would ask if she’s tried the dress on, and every second day, she would respond, no not yet.

Anyway, the day before the wedding, I asked her if she had tried on the dress yet and again she said no. But she was certain that it wouldn’t be a problem and that all would be well.

When our organization showed up at her wedding, she was wearing a completely different dress than the one her sister wore (we knew because we’d all seen the pictures). When we asked her what happened to her sister’s dress, she told us that on the morning of the wedding, she tried on the dress and it was waaaaay too tight so she called around to her relatives and luckily found another dress to borrow.

The reason she brought up the story of the wedding dress was to tell me that nothing fazes her. She’s one of those who simply rolls with the punches.

I see the Wedding Dress fiasco as something completely different. Here’s a grown woman (by the way she’s 40+) who can’t seem to get her act together. If she can’t get her act together for THE most important day of her life – her wedding, how can she get it together for anything else – particularly a job that she does not care about???

The most important day of her life and she’s searching for a wedding dress to borrow on the morning of the wedding????!!!

Is it just me or is there something terribly wrong with this picture???

So, why am I telling you this looooooong story, well, several months after our last conversation, I terminated her. Today, she contacted me and asked if I would be a job reference.

What????!!!!

She certain has good qualities – problem is those qualities aren’t work related. She’s a fun-loving, party-hardy, free-spirit. She has problems with her attendance, her attitude and her aptitude for accurate work.

I’m trying to dig deep on this one. I don’t wish her any ill… but I cannot possibly give her a glowing reference, or reference in general.

Now, isn’t that one crazy story???? I honestly wish I could tell you that I made that all up but I can’t. It’s all true. So, what would you do if you were I?
I hope you'll all pipe in. Maybe I'm just biased and can't see the forest from the trees. Hence, I'd love to hear what my lovely readers think.
From my home to yours, wishing each of you a Happy Wednesday!
Good Night!

7 comments:

Lady Cardigan said...

I actually was in a similar situation about 10 years ago. I had a lazy, slipshod coworker who made my life quite difficult. When she was fired, she asked if she could use me as a reference. I wanted to be "nice," so I said yes, but I fretted about what I would say if anyone ever contacted me about her, because she was such a dreadful worker (and, to be honest, not a very pleasant person, although I tried to make allowances because she had personal reasons for her attitude at the time). Fortunately, no one ever did contact me about her. Whew.

A few months after she left the job, I contacted her online and asked if she could check on something work-related for me. It would have taken only a very few moments of her time, and I'd certainly done a few favors for her in the past. She never even bothered to reply! And this is how she treated the person she was relying on for a reference?!

I'm a little older and wiser now, I hope. I think if I were you, I'd just tell her "I don't give references as a matter of policy, I'm sorry" or something along those lines. She'll find someone else to do it, and you won't have to feel guilty for encouraging someone else to hire her. I still feel bad for saying something like this. But life is tough and your coworker is not putting in the necessary effort right now. She shouldn't expect others to do it for her.

Lisa said...

It's funny to think that more than one person would have a similar situation like that.

In my previous job, I had a gal who went to work in my department fresh out of college, so she came in as an entry-level person. Everything started off well enough and then she started flubbing (random absences, not completing certain projects, etc.). Long story short, it turns out she was expecting that once she had proven she could do a certain task, she would be moved on from that and "be able to continue growing." That is all fine and good except that's not how things work in the real world.

Then she quite out of the blue while most of management was away at a trade show - and I found out later when talking to HR that she told them I was asking for too much personal info from her and that I need to learn to listen to my employees (ahem, I asked to please just be told if someone was planning to disappear for not reason throughout the middle of a work day, hello?)

And then a few weeks later she too, asked me for a reference - actually, didn't ask, but told me that she used me as a reference and to expect a call. WTF?!

Why are there people like this in the world?! And LOADS of them!
How the hell do they get by?!

Anyhoo - love your shoes. :o)

Ibi said...

PURPLE SARTO FRANCO SHOES:

I love your gray shoes and want them. So I googled and found them in PURPLE for you too!

http://www.endless.com/dp/B001W6QBLS/ref=asc_df_B001W6QBLS1016157?tag=nextag-endless-20&creative=380333&linkCode=asn&creativeASIN=B001W6QBLS

Candy in Canada said...

I love your gray shoes, They are so adorable =)

HeidiG said...

Love the gray FS shoes. And thanks for sharing the story...I feel so normal now. :)

kanishk said...

she treated the person she was relying on for a reference?!

ladies lingerie

Nicole said...

The story was a pure delight!