Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Confessions of a Clinically Psychotic Shopaholic

Okay, we all know that when it comes to purchasing anything, I'm downright a freak.

I'm a freakazoid.

I'm a psycho-maniac who can't seem to make up her mind, whatsoever.

I constantly fight with myself when it comes to my purchases. Part of me desperately wants to buy, buy, buy and the other part of me screams No, No, No. You don't need it.

And then, I have my super logical, practical, frugal husband saying, no, you don't need that. You already own "X" number of _______ (fill in the blanks). It's practically a recording. I and we go through the same thing everytime I stumble upon something I don't need yet want. Which is truly the cause of today's lowest low and highest high.

As you all know, Anthro had a huge markdown about 2 weeks ago. Prior to the mark-down, I had already been lusting after the Monochromatic Corset Dress. And when it got marked down, well, I knew that I had to have it. I called the U Village Store and had them put a size 8 and size 10 on hold for me. (I honestly didn't know which size was going to fit and I would rather have it looser than so tight that I could not zip it up). I asked that they hold it for me for 2 days ... which they kindly did.

But then those internal voices started up. Buy it! No, Don't buy it! Yes, Buy it! No, you don't need it! No, No, No, I definitely want this dress! No! No! No! You do not need this dress. After all that back and forth, I decided to leave the dress.

Fast forward 3 days. I'm still lusting after the darn dress. So I called the store up and thank goodness they still have both sizes. Again, I had them put it on hold for me with the full intentions of getting them. But once again, those stoooopid voices started yet again. Buy it! No, don't buy it! BUY it! NO! You Don't Need It! Back and forth I went... like a freaking verbal tennis match... all happening in my head. I sometimes wonder, with all that chatter, how the hell can I function normally???!!! This internal fighting lasts an entire 2 days ... at which point, the dresses are now back on the sale rack and I still haven't made up my mind if I'm going to buy the dress.

It's now 10 days since the dress got marked-down and I'm still head-over-heels in love with the dress. My husband catches me longing for the dress on the computer and he asks, "shall I get that for you for Christmas?"... remember, this is the same guy who told me 10 days earlier that I shouldn't get the dress because I really didn't need it.

I take his question as a go-ahead and get the dress so I call the store back. Incredibly, they locate BOTH dresses (what's the chance of that???!!!) and tell them to hold the dress for me until Monday (yesterday). I was certain that I was going to get the dress. Now, Monday comes and goes and I still couldn't seem to commit. So, in short, I didn't call back to purchase the darn dress. (BTW, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not only completely psychotic, I am also completely commitment phobic, but I digress.) Then this morning, it suddenly dawns on me that I cannot live without the dress so I call the store yet again.

But this time, my luck had run out. The salesperson I spoke with told me that they had put out my hold items and while the store had only been opened for 2 hours, my dresses were gone. GONE! They were no where to be found! They were gone forever. Some other lucky girl (whom I absolute hated, despite not knowing who the hell she is) has got my dresses.

I begged the Anthro Sales Rep on the other end of the phone to look around the store to see if she could find them. She looked, returned and said No. The dresses were gone! I re-described the dresses to her (of which she said she knows exactly what I'm looking for) and asked that she take another look in the Holds section per chance that she had overlooked them. She puts me on hold, looks yet again and returned with a resounding NO. The dresses weren't there. They were gone! GONE! THE DRESSES HAVE LEFT THE BUILDING! Seeing that it was completely my fault and that she was starting to lose her patience with me, I thanked her and hung up.

I was ready to burst out crying. I was positively depressed. I wanted those dresses and it was completely my fault that they were gone. Gone! No where to be found - GONE! I call another 5 stores and no one had them. I was devastated. Completely devastated! I felt like a complete Idiot. I am such a Loser!

An hour goes by and I decide to call the store back and speak with the original salesperson who had helped me out a few days ago. She comes on the phone and tells me that she's heard about my story and she's terribly sorry that the dresses were put back. I tell her that it's not her fault and that it's completely my fault because I couldn't commit.

I asked her to take one last look around for me per chance that she finds it. As she's about to put me on hold, I hear the other salesperson - the one who told me that the dresses were Gone, Sold, Gone Forever... but my salesperson retorts by saying, I'm just going to take one last look again. She puts me on hold for a few minutes ... which by the way felt like years... and returns to tell me that ....

SHE FOUND THEM! They were put back in the Sale Section but they were definitely there. Both sizes!

Had I been able to crawl through the phone, I would honestly have hugged her to death! She found my dresses! My Dresses! After that fiasco, well, I wasn't letting these dresses get away from me this time. These dresses were Mine! All Mine! The voices in my head stopped. I knew that I had to get them. This was God saying... Get these dresses. How many times must I find them and put them on hold for you before you get them??? Just Get The Dresses Now! So I did.

And I got a couple more. Besides the Monochromatic Dress in a size 8 and a size 10, I also purchased the Bull's Eye Dress in a size 6 (let's hope this fits) and the Chiffon and Tweed Dress in a size 8 and a 10 (I understand that it fits small).

I have come to the conclusion that I am completely insane. Completely Certifiably Insane! Besides my darling readers, I truly wonder, how many other people honestly know how insane I really am? Hmmmmm.....I wonder.

Anyway, here's today's purchases:

Monochromatic Corset Dress - Size 8 and 10


Chiffon and Tweed Dress - Size 8 and 10



Bull's Eye Dress - Size 6


Let's just hope that these dresses now fit. It would sooooooo suck if they don't!

7 comments:

Lady Cardigan said...

I hope you love them! I have EXACTLY the same problem making up my mind whether to buy things. By the time I decide, they are often sold out. So I can definitely relate!!!

C said...

OK, I sometimes get this way too and I sometimes keep waiting for something to go on sale or even deep discount and then I miss it and wish I had just purchased it, BUT I do not call the sales people, so there is no record of my madness....poor sales people, but they must have people 10x worse than us...like the people who buy, return, buy, return?

goldenmeans said...

LOL, your story made me smile. I have the same voices. Except I can only listen to them for about a day before I give in to inevitable temptation ;) Because I also have other voices! Ones that say, "why didn't you get that? Now it's gone forevvvver" and they make me cringe.

Anyway, the Monochromatic Corset is lovely, and I'm glad you got it! I am sure you will look lovely in it. I myself had a budget-meltdown at the sale this morning. Oh well...I suppose I can eventually convince myself to return something, right? :)

Popbabe7 said...

Just found your blog. These dresses are gorgeous!!!

Agent Mayhem said...

I'm possibly interested in the Monochromatic Corset Dress in 10 ~ is it still available? I have a few questions, of course! ( posted this on The Trade Market, too)

overcaffeinated said...

I am LOL because you sound exactly like me! Sometimes I can become a bit obsessed with an item (especially a dress or purse) and I'll be in silent turmoil with myself.

In the end, I usually give into the voice in my head that tells me to buy. The thought of buyers regret of something I love being gone forever... haunts me. I still think about the "bag that got away" that I obsessed over for a year!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Hi Agent Mayhem, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I just found your email. I dind't go to the Post Office last week so Yes, I still have the size 10 dress. Would you like to email your questions to: mydelightfulobsessions@gmail.com

Thanks.