Friday, November 27, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....




I know it's a tad early to put up the tree and to decorate for the holidays but we kinda had to do it tonight because we're entertaining the next 3 Saturdays straight and if we didn't do it tonight, we're simply just not going to be able to do it at all.

We flip flop between a real tree and an artificial tree. This year, we decided to use our artificial tree since it's going to be almost impossible to have a real tree up for 4 weeks. Moreover, no one's selling real trees yet.

Our tree is primarily decorated with Handmade Ornaments purchased from Craft Sales. I love Craft Sale ornaments. I can remember the very first Craft Sale ornament I picked up many years back. It's a teeny tiny baby Jesus wrapped up in swadling cloth lying on hay in a little rattan donut with a curly metal wire and a star attached to the end and the word "Joy" on the star. To this day, I still love that ornament. But tonight, I found the little star lying at the bottom of my ornament box. The little "Joy" star fell off! I glued it back immediately and once again, looking at it, it brought a smile to my face.

My favorite ornament is one that I call ... "My Crazy Angel". It's a little handmade cloth angel with twigs for wings and tuffs of wool for hair. It's sooooo ugly that it's downright cute. I bought her the same time I got my Baby Jesus ornament.

I don't know about you but I love unwrapping the ornaments each year for they bring back fond memories... like the Golf Clubs and Golf Shoes ornaments I purchased for Honey the one year we were at Niagara-On-The-Lake or the hand-carved Wooded Reindeer with only 3 legs. ... it did have 4 legs originally but one fell off and for the life of me, I never did find it and so it will remain my weird 3 legged Reindeer forever.

The holiday season is just waaaaay too short in my opinion and I just want to cherish each and every moment of it. And so tonight my friends, my holiday season begins as I put on my first Christmas CD of the season and hang my last ornament on the tree.

This is the start of my most favorite season of the year. Enjoy this most blessed of seasons my lovelies.

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Your tree is fabulous! I'm totally envious of your branch fluffing skills, too. When we had an artificial tree that size it never looked that full!

ManoloChooLou said...

Beautiful tree! And I love all the Nutcrackers on your mantle.

Summer said...

They are selling real trees left and right all weekend here. They smell so good.

We have done real for 2 years now and you really just need to water water water.

This year is artifical though...

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thanks Natalie. Actually, I absolutely HATE fluffing. It is by far the worse job when it comes to putting up the tree. Thank goodness I had my daughter help me fluff. Otherwise, I might still be fluffing right now. lol!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thanks ManoloChooLou. I went through a period where I had a bit of a Nutcracker obsession. See the trend here? lol! I actually have about a dozen more Nutcrackers of various sizes but there's not enough room on my Mantle to display them all. If I did, I would just look like some Nutcracker freak. Thank goodness I don't have that obsession any longer. lol!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Summer, it's funny that you should mention that they're selling trees. Honey hauled out the tree on Thursday - just before Survivor and my daughter and I rushed around fluffing the branches. Then we decorated on Friday. Interestingly, I saw my very first Christmas Tree Sale on Sunday. It was the first non-rainy day for a long time and there were all these cars with trees tied to the top of them. But until Sunday, there weren't any trees up for sale. I guess those tree people were waiting for the rains to stop. Crazy really! I love real trees as well. Love the way they smell. There are certainly pros and cons with real and fake trees. If I had my way, I'd go real all the way. Enjoy the season!