Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Anthro Monochromatic Corset Dress



I soooooo WANT, WANT, WANT, WANT, WANT this dress.

Isn't it simply stunning? It is borderline costumie yet so very chic. I fell in love with this dress several weeks back while perusing the Anthro website but at the full price of $188, I was certainly NOT buying it. But then...

It went on Sale. TODAY. It's now $99.95. And all of a sudden, I can justify buying it ... even though I still have no place to wear it to.

However, my intent is to wear this to work. I honestly think it could work. Originally I thought of throwing a black cardigan over it but that would completely hide the fantastic lace-up corset work on the back of the dress...

And then, it suddenly dawned on me. I would actually pair this dress with a tissue-weight long sleeved T-Neck top, black opaque tights and a pair of black high-heeled Mary Janes. I saw the perfect pair of Calvin Klein Mary Janes the other day that's calling my name as I walked by. When I get this dress (and trust me, it'll be very soon for I currently have a couple of sizes on hold) I will have to run out and buy me those very chic CK MJs.

I honestly think the Black T Neck would make this dress more wearable during the day, don't you agree? How else would you consider making this dress Office appropriate without detracting from the design?

I understand from the reviews that this dress runs small - at least 1 or 2 sizes smaller than usual. So my next question is, what size should I get? I'm so new to Anthropologie so I haven't quite figured out my size yet. But it would appear that I'm between a 4 and a 6 - depending ont he design. So, should I just get the 8 then? Have you tried this dress on? What size would you recommend I order?

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I love the idea of a turtleneck with it-- I had not thought of that. As far as sizing info, I would like to know that, too because you and I are the same size (between 4 and 6). Have you read the reviews on this dress on anthro? There are some reviews that say it is not great quality because the boning in it ripped through the corset after wearing it once. However, there are many more good reviews of it. I think I am going to hold out to see if they will mark it down one more time after thanksgiving.

bonjouritsjinah said...

Karen- Corey Lynn Calter in general runs small. I am usually a size 0 in Anthro house label clothes and can wear up to a 4 in CLC. I bought this dress in a 0, but if you are busty by any means, I'd size up atleast one size. I'm pretty flatchested and went with a 0 instead of a 2 because the 0 fit better in the waist.

The boning in the top part is tight and depending on what size you go with, may show a lot of decolletage!

Natalie said...

I tried this on and needed a 4 (could get into a 2 but it wasn't pretty) and I normally go between 0 and 2- I'd go 8 if I were you, if only for the sake of comfort.

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Hi Rachel. Like yourself, I'm holding out for another markdown. I've got the perfect pair of shoes for this dress already. I picked up a pair of Orianna Mary Janes by Calvin Klein today and they would be PERFECT with this dress!!!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

bonjouritsjinah, thanks for your help on the dress. I love the picture of you in the dress. It's sooooo pretty! I also love how you were better dressed than everyone else at the wedding. :) Better to be over dressed than under dressed any day! Thanks for the info on the dress. I normally wear a size 4/6 so I think I'm going to try for an 8. Better for it to be a little large than too small. Thanks again!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Hi Natalie, thanks for the info. I'm definitely thinking that the 8 will work. Better large than small right?

Thanks again!