Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Eureka! Absence Explained.

It dawned on me last night.... yes, crazy at it sounds... because I really ought to have realized this a looooong time ago, but Nooooooo, it hadn't once dawned on me.... until last night, that my absences from Blog World is a result of my obsessions.

Obsessions???? you ask. Yes, Obsessions. Yes, I realize that my blog's called, My Delightful Obsessions, which means that I'm supposed to be sharing my obsessions with my readers, right? Well, yes. That's my intent.

And if I weren't half as obsessive as I am, I would likely share all of my obsessions with everyone here. Please don't take this the wrong way. I want to share. I really do. Problem is, I get so caught up and wrapped up in my obsessions that it literally consumes all of my time - which explains my absences from my blog.

What the $#@% is she talking about, you ask yourself? Let me explain.

Recently, I've been on a bit of a hunt to find myself THE perfect gift. Yes, me..... for me. Why you ask? Well, firstly, by the end of the year, we'll be mortgage free. Whoooo Hoooooo! Secondly, it's my birthday Saturday.

Mathematically the equation goes like this: Soon to have No Mortgage + Birthday = Big Present For Me.

So I started shopping... online, that is. For years, I've told Honey that the first thing I'd buy when we're Mortgage Free, is a Chanel Jumbo Caviar Flap Bag. It's not that I couldn't afford to buy one all this time, ... it just that I think spending $3K on a handbag is just not that practical when there's other things that we ought to be saving our money for .... like our Mortgage, Kitty's private school fees, property tax (which by the way is almost $5K annually for our home), RRSPs, etc. So, I decided that I would only look at buying my Chanel as a treat for myself once our home was paid off.

So in the last week, while looking for Chanels, the Hermes Birkin caught my attention. One of the Yummy Mummies at my daughter's school has a Birkin. I really want a Birkin, I tell myself.... a Blue Jean Birkin. That'll look great on me! .... or so I thought, until I saw the price. $17K for a Birkin 35!

OMG! I cannot justify spending $17K on a Birkin. That's one year of private school for Kitty. Hmmmmm.... maybe Kitty can go to public school for Grade 5. Mommy gets the Birkin and then Kitty can go back for Grade 6. Hey, this can work.... NOT!

WELL.... since we're at the $17K mark now, I thought to myself, why buy a bag when I can buy a Time Share. So, that's where I've been spending my time. I've spent the last 3 days doing just that... Researching Time Shares. I have decided that I want to buy a Time Share. That or a Porsche Cayenne S but since my car is still in awesome shape and since Honey is going to be buying a new vehicle next year anyway, I've decided that:

Soon to have No Mortgage + Birthday = Timeshare

Knowing how fickle I am and how quickly I change my mind, I'm sure that it's only a matter of time before I decide that a Time Shares is not what I want. But for now... I want a Time Share... specifically, a Starwood Timeshare. Where? I'm not sure yet. But I want to go abouts finding me a Timeshare in the most practical and business-like way possible.

So on the topic of my latest obsession, do you own a timeshare? What do you think of it? Do you love it, hate it? If you had to do it all over again, would you have gotten it?

2 comments:

Bren said...

hi! my name is sarah and i have been reading your blog for a bit now:). my parents own two marriott timeshares...one in myrtle beach and one in hawaii. we have had them since i was in junior high (im 24) and love them! you don't have to stay at your home resort and we have been to probably around 8 differnet marriott timeshares in the US and they are all wonderful! (they have them abroad too). hope that information helps you out!

Kathy said...

We own one on Cape Cod. My MIL bought it in order to trade for trips in other parts of the country. We did use it for a while, went to Disney in FLA, the Poconos and Colonial Williamsburg. However, we did stop going as the kids got older because they could not be taken out of school on off weeks. It is very difficult to get the trades during any school vacations. For the past few years, I rent it out in order to make the yearly fees. If you do buy, make sure that it is a popular week as that makes it much more valuable. I do not think the resale value is very high unless the resort is in high demand and/or close to sold out.