Monday, September 21, 2009

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and... Bubble Tea



I'd miss Kitty soooooo very much when she was off at Outdoor School last week. She spent 3 nights away from home and when she got home, all I wanted to do was to spend time with her. She really wanted to go see the new 3D movie - Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and so we went. Kitty, Grandma and I.

If you haven't had a chance to see it, you should! It's an awesome movie! The premise of the movie is this. Little boy who's constantly teased at school eventually grows up to be a Scientist (well sorta). He's a Scientist alright... but not good enough to work for Nasa. He's constantly building new inventions which don't quite work the way he wants it to work. He finally develops a machine that turns water into food. Awesome, right??? I'd love to have one of those. Problem is, through a freak accident, it ends up in space and that's where all hell breaks loose.

Kitty loved the movie. She loved everything about it... particularly the 3D animation! I love going to movies with her because I love watching her reaction and throughout the entire movie, she was sitting on the edge of her seat ... concentrating more on the movie than her popcorn.

So, if you haven't seen it or are contemplating seeing it, I highly recommend this movie. It's perfect for the young and the young at heart!

After the movie, Kitty wanted Bubble Tea. If you haven't experienced Bubble Tea, it's certainly an experience. Kitty dragged me to Bubble Orange - a bright and colorful store offering over 100 Flavors of Tea and an assortment of different bubbles.



I've never had Bubble Tea before but she obviously has for she promptly ordered a Fresh Mango Slushy with Pearls and Coconut Jelly. Being one for new things, I ordered the exact same thing while Grandma ordered the Taro Milk Slush with Pearls.

The drinks arrive in a tall soft plastic tumbler sealed with plastic. At the bottom of the tumbler are black balls - that remind me of very large tadpole eggs and translucent white bits (both these things at the bottom really didn't look very appetizing), topped off with a bright yellow slush. Grandma's was essentially the same (sans the white bits) and topped off with a lavender colored milk-shake. (I later found out that Grandma was the one who had introduced Kitty to Bubble Tea).

I was a little hesitant in trying but since Kitty was happily sucking on a large straw (large enough to accomodate those Tadpole egg-like black balls), I punched a hole into the top film color with my straw and took my first taste.

It's Yummy! In fact, it's better than Yummy! It's sweet, refreshing, decadent. It's absolutely delicious! It's basically a fruit shake with jelly and stuff. I later find out that the black stuff is actually sweeted Tapioca Balls and the Coconut jelly is Coconut Jello. While it's delicious, I did however, find it somewhat expensive. Considering that it's essentially a milk-shake, I found it to be pricey at $4.50 / glass.

Now that I've discovered it, Kitty and I have decided to treat ourselves to a Bubble Tea once a month. (I don't think that they're light in Calories).

Have you ever tasted Bubble Tea? Do you like it? What's your favorite flavor? If you haven't, would you be inclined to try it?

4 comments:

jcbellemarie said...

i love bubble tea. have friends who own bubble tea joints lol. actually, i looove tapioca and coconut everything! : )

jcbellemarie said...

and your description of kids watching movies - so cute! I have to see Cloudy with a chance of meatballs : ) it actually (gasp) will usurp The September Issue for my to-see-next list.

Kalee said...

I had this for the first time last month at an ethnic festival. It was definitely different. The black tapioca pearls freaked my husband out so he drank the drink, but avoided them!

amy kelinda said...

I loooove Bubble Tea! My friends and I go to the local tapioca joint to hang out like how some hipster kids hang out at Starbucks. My favorite flavors have to be the classic Milk Tea and the slightly more unusual Avocado Slush (I love avocado!). I was apprehensive about the movie at first, but it sounds like I should check it out.