Monday, July 6, 2009

FLO - Day 2 and 3

Fat Loss Obsession - Day 2 & 3

Day 2:

About 2 weeks ago, I found the most amazing pair of gold calf-length gladiators from NineWest - and decided to wear them to church. While they look adorable, they aggravated my Mortons-Neuroma and the 3rd and 4th toe on my left foot is all bunged up. As a result, I wasn't able to get my usual 30 minutes of cardio is on the elliptical.

Instead, of tossing in the towel, as I would normally do (since what's the point, right - as I couldn't get my cardio in), I decided to work on resistance-training instead. I worked on my abs and my legs.

I did 4 sets of 12 reps each of exercises for my abs - ranging from roll-ups, regular crunches, twisting crunches, planks, etc. I also did the same number of sets and reps for my legs - using mostly Pilates moves and traditional but well-proven methods to reduce bulk in the rear, hips and thighs.

I feel somewhat cheated for not having had the opportunity to sweat it out today. I tried - I got on the machine, went 3+ minutes and had to get off. I have a very high pain-tolerance, but still couldn't do it. I didn't want to cause any further damage so I had to let the cardio go today.



Day 3:

I soooo didn’t want to get out of bed this morning when my alarm clock went off at 5am. I turned it off and tried going back to sleep but my goal to lose the fat kept gnawing at me so at 5:15am, I finally threw back the covers, got changed and went downstairs for my workout.

Initially, I had decided to do both a Cardio and Resistance-Training combination but seeing that I had wasted 15 minutes procrastinating in bed and now didn’t quite have the time to do both, I decided to focus primarily on Cardio instead. Afterall, all I did yesterday was RT (Resistance Training).

So, 45 minutes of Cardio later and now sweating like a pig, I was feeling much better and certainly more accomplished. But I ask myself, why do I procrastinate? Crazy, isn’t it? I know I have to wake up and work out but yet, I continue to lie there wasting precious work-out time! Argh! Am I the only one? What is your secret to getting out of bed in the morning and work out? I find the getting out of bed part the hardest. Once I’m out of bed, it’s all good … but getting out of bed ….. that’s the challenge!!!

But back to the Cardio and Resistance Training part. One of the things I’ve learnt recently (and it’s really not rocket-science, so I don’t know why it hadn’t dawned on me until recently!) … is that, one cannot build muscles and burn fat at the same time.

That makes soooo much sense. Built muscles will burn fat but while working out, it’s certainly one or the other. During a workout, cardio won’t build muscles and lifting weights does not constitute a Cardio workout. In order to be the lean and trim hottie I want to be, I need both – cardio and resistance training. Unfortunately, until now, my focus has been on weight loss. There has been little to no emphasis on building muscles – until I started Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle (BTFFTM).

I honestly believe that I’m now on the right track. Tomorrow, I will share my short term and long term goals with you.

3 comments:

Patina Cabachon said...

Hi I am a silent follower of your blog and have been for some time. I wanted to let you know that I am on board with you....today is day 1 for me. Good luck!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Hey Patina, Love your blog. I too am a silent follower of your blog! :) Congratulations with your decision to become healthy! Good for you! Good Luck to you! I'm sure you'll do great. If I can be of any support, please let me know. :)

alex216 said...

I love it! Very creative!That's actually really cool.
謝謝你的文章分享,請你有空到我

參觀,Thanks