Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Dose of Reality

Man! When people I've grown up with, okay ... forget the fact that I don't know these people personally, but I grew up with these folks, start dying ... like Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson, it makes me realize a couple things.

Life is short; You certainly don't know when the Big Guy up in the Sky is going to ask you to come home so it's important to lead a Good life ... and I'm not talking whooping it up and leading that good life but the good life of helping those in need, being true to yourself, your love ones and to God and preparing yourself for that awesome day when He calls you to come home. Yes, Life is short isn't it.

It also makes me realize that I'm getting old. Oh My Gosh, I cannot believe that I'm old. I still remember the days when I was a tween (by the way, that word did NOT exist when I was growing up) and I couldn't wait to be a teenager so that I could start dating ... and when I thought that being in your twenties would make you worldly and that being in your forties was old. Yes,... the forties were old. Now that I'm in my forties (very early forties - mind you!) I certainly don't feel old but those my daughter's age certainly think I'm old. What happened to me? How in the world did I get from being young to suddenly being old? I was speaking with Kitty on the phone earlier today and told her that Michael Jackson had passed away. She said... Who? I'm old.

I remember when my brother idolized Farrah Fawcett. He had that poster of her - the one where she's wearing that thin, and I mean, thin, red bathing suit and her hair's all feathered... know the one? Man! That was over 30 years ago. In my mind Farrah will always be that Feathered Hair Bombshell ... In my mind, she's the original Pam Anderson. She was Pam Anderson before Pam Anderson even started walking. Man, I'm old.

It's one thing when those older than you die. It's another when those you grew up with start dying. Wow! It certainly makes me rethink my life. Let's face it ... chances are, I won't do anything different ... for the Sun will still rise in the East and I'll get up at my usual time to get ready for work ... but for a moment in time, yes, it certainly does make an impact.

Wow....

1 comment:

sparrowsandsparkles said...

I am feeling the same...