Tuesday, May 5, 2009

More J Crew Reviews - Jane Ottoman Pencil Skirt, Kelly Belt and Tuxedo Front Solid Cotton Cami










Here's 3 more items I purchased during my last trip to Bellevue and to U-Village.

The first is the Linen Ottoman Jane Pencil Skirt in Bright Coral. I fell in-love with this color the moment I laid eyes on it. It's rather corally as you can see from the picture but it's certainly not neony at all. I think it'll be a fun color to wear in the Spring and Summer, and depending on what I pair it with, I might be able to get away with it in the Fall as well.

The skirt fits very much like the other J Crew Pencil skirts I've tried on - meaning it's quite slim through the hip and thighs but somewhat generous through the waist. Unlike the Gladiola Print Skirt that has some stretch to it, this one has no stretch whatsoever. And unlike the Gladiola Print Skirt that is unlined, the Ottoman Jane Pencil Skirt is fully lined. Both have an overlapped Flap Vent in the back.


Since this skirt has no stretch to it whatsoever, and really since it was the last one in the store ... hence I didn't quite have a choice anyway, I purchased it in the size 4. Just for reference's sake, I purchased the Gladiola Print skirt in a size 2. I think the size 4 works on me in this case - as it gives me the room I need through the hips and the thighs since there's no give. However, it's rather generous in the waist. I thought about getting it altered but I don't think I'm going to worry to much about that since it's really only about an inch or so larger than I'd like it and having a meal would completely minimize the inch difference anyway. LOL! The skirt was an awesome deal. With the Red Card that Joan gave me here, I ended up paying $22.49 plus taxes for this skirt. Now, isn't that a score???


I also purchased the belt that is shown worn with the skirt in the picture. It's called the Printed Cotton Blend Kelly Belt. I was originally drawn to it because I desperately needed a belt to go with my new Tulip Pink Bennetton Jeans I had purchased several weeks ago. Originally I had intended to wear a scarf-belt with my jeans but having searched everywhere and not find the perfect scarf, I decided that I would do without a belt .... that was until I laid my eyes on this belt. It's perfect! I LOVE the colors. Tulip Pink, Golden Avocado and Bright Coral are splashed on a Champagne background. The combination makes this a wonderful addition to my wardrobe for it'll match with so much that I already own. The belt was on sale for $19.99 and with my discount card, it came to $14.99 and I didn't have to continue searching for a scarf-belt. That's a real bonus!


The third and last time being reviewed in this post is the Tuxedo Front Solid Cotton Cami. BTW, please pardon the fact that my bra strap is showing in this picture. I realize that I am wearing the WRONG bra with this top. I obviously need a different bra.

This Cami comes in White (which I purchased), Bronzed Sand, Light Pewter and Bright Fuschia. It also comes in a Cheetah Print Fresh Melon. I've been needing a White fitted sleeveless cami for some time. I needed one specifically for my Club Monaco skirt that I've had a while now but have yet to wear it because I didn't have a suitable top to match with it.


The material on the Cami is quite thin but not sheer as you can see from the picture. It has a side zipper but no closure for the neck - so in all honesty, it's a bit of a challenge getting into this cami for it would be very easy to get make-up on the cami either when you're putting the cami on or taking it off (and since it's dry-clean only, I can see this being a real challenge). I either have to put my makeup on after I don the top or, stick a scarf over my face when I put on or take off this top so as to not get makeup on it. Kinda sucks if you were to ask me but I was desperate for a top to wear with my Club Monaco skirt.


I love the unfinished edge ruffles on this top. There are 3 layers of ruffles around the neck as well as ruffles part way down the front. There are also 8 columns of pleats down the front which addes additional interest and detail. I also like the fit of the cami. I like the fact that it's a slim cut and thus is fitted as opposed to a classic-cut and is bellowy - which lends itself to tucking into skirts or pants easily.


That all said, I haven't quite decided if I'm going to keep the Tuxedo Front Solid Cotton Cami. I have ordered the Cotton Silk Ruffle Swirl Tank as well - and it's on it's way to me as we speak. Once it arrives, I will then decide which to keep and which to return. While I love almost all aspects of the Tuxedo Front Cami, I'm not loving the fact that the neck opening is small and that there is a risk that I may get make-up on it and then have to spend a small fortune to have it dry-cleaned after each wearing.


Do you own or have you tried the Tuxedo Front Solid Cotton Cami? What do you think of it? How do you like the neck opening? Do you find it to be a pain as I have?

Anyway, that's my J Crew Review. I've got more items to post - so be sure to check back again.

15 comments:

gigiofca said...

Both look great on you. The cami was too much of a hassle for me and begging for makeup to be smeared on it. I was unimpressed.

Chloe said...

Everything looks great on you and I reeeeally think I need that skirt. I squealed when I saw it- I'm a huge fan of coral, and that skirt looks like perfection on you- it fits you well.

One question, though- since you mentioned the dreaded "L" word- linen. It looks great and not wrinkly on you, but give me anything linen and within a minute of wearing it I look like I've thrown on rumpled, dirty laundry. Is it a full linen blend? Does it wrinkle easily?

I also love the tuxedo top! Eek, too much stuff I'm liking here. I need to simmer down! :P

lwyergrl said...

I just bought the Tux Cami and I really love it. I too love that its fitted. I already got two compliments on it. And so far, I haven't had any issues with me makeup rubbing off on it while slipping it on. I returned the ruffle swirl tank because it looked funny on me and I didn't think it was as cute as the Tuxedo. :) Whatever you decide, I am sure you will love it! By the way, I really enjoy reading your blog!

IRL said...

Both items fit you really well. I like the tuxedo cami and am looking forward to trying it. Thanks for the reviews! :)

Ema said...

I loved the tuxido cami and bought it in white with the 25% off card (it looked really great and the makeup issue wasn't an issue for me as I rarely wear makeup). However I realized that it was a little bit too dressy for the summer, so I returned it but if it goes on sale I might re-buy depending on the price.
I've tried the cotton-silk swirl ruffle cami in store but didn't like the fit, plus I'm a little bit bored of ruffles, I prefer the tuxedo, I think it will a loger wardrobe life.

melissamolasses said...

Very cute outfit. I think you should keep the Tuxedo Cami. Is that skirt B&M only?

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thanks gigiofca. The Cami is a bit of a hassle isn't it? Particularly if one wears make-up. I'm waiting to compare it to the Swirl Ruffle Tank. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Hey Chloe, thanks for your nice words. The coral is such a fantastic color, isn't it. I know how much you love coral as well for did you recently purchase a Nanette Lepore in a pretty coral?

Skirt - It's 53% Cotton and 47% Linen. The lining is 97% Cotton and 3% elasten. So the lining has stretch. I took the pictures the day after I returned from my J Crew shopping trip. I took it out of the bag and threw it on. So to answer your question, no it doesn't wrinkle as badly as 100% linen would but at the end of the day, it still does have linen in it. But the color! LOVE the color! = Must have.

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Iwyergrl, I can't wait for my Ruffle Swirl Tank to arrive so that I may compare the 2. I'm glad to hear that you like the Tuxedo Cami better. I agree, I like the look of the ruffles without the ruffles.

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you IRL. :)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Ema, you're the 2nd person who's advised that they didn't like the Swirl Ruffle Cami. Just curious, what was it that you didn't like about it?

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Melissamolasses, I'm not sure if the skirt is B&M only. I don't remember seeing it online but then again, I wasn't searching for it. I had only seen it the once (the day I purchased it) at the U Village Store. There was none left in the store - neither was there any at the Bellevue store. Maybe it was a Catalog return? Can anyone else help Melissamolasses out with her question? TIA! :)

The Outfit of the day said...

The best outfit on you!!!! GORGEOUS!

Christina said...

Love the look. It's looks fabulous on you! :)

Diabolina Da Fashionista said...

been loving that belt for months now.

lovely blog!

kiss,
D

My Super Sweet Fashion Diary
www.dafashionista.com