Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Have you Swished?

The concept of Swishing is an intriguing one. Per Swishing.org, it's the art of getting your friends together to swap clothes and party at the same time. In order to attend a Swishing party, each participant is required to bring at least one (1) good quality, clean item of clothing, or an accessory, that she'd feel proud to hand on.

Doesn't it sound like fun?

Here's information from Swishing.org as to how to go about throwing a Swishing party.

Pre-Party Prep
Pick a Date
Decide where to have it
Download invitation from http://www.swishing.org/
Send it out to your friends and start plotting

Day of Party
If you have rails and hangers handy, put them out; if not, lay clothes out and them them over chairs, tables, ladders, etc. Get creative.
If you're up to it, prepare some nibblies.

How to Swish
As guests arrive, add their items to the growing pile of goodies.
Invite guests to spend some time rifling through the goodies ladi out over a glass of wine.
Decide on the starting time for the swish - maybe an hour or so after guests arrive.
Once most of the people have arrived, explain the rules and announce the start time.
Give a five minute warning for the start of the swish.
Countdown to the Opening of the Swish.
When it opens, whatever people take is theirs.

Swishing Rules
Everyone must bring at least one item of clothing; peole can leave with as many items as they want.
No one can claim items as their own before the swish opens.
And, no scrating, spitting or biting!

So, have you Swished? What do you think about Swishing? Have you or will you entertain the idea of hosting a Swishing Party?

10 comments:

MMM said...

I have heard of it and I would love to host one! I would also love to hear from others who have already hosted or attended one! :)

AppGal said...

that sounds so fun! i would love to host/attend one of these parties! :) but i wonder what happens if no one is the same size...?

cK said...

Here in Calgary we call them "Naked Lady Parties". My DD started doing them here about 5 years ago, same rules as swishing!

The host usually makes a signature cocktail for the evening, delicious munchies are served and it is a blast!

Anything left over is bagged up that night and it is the host's responsibility to donate it to charity.

Here you can bring more than one item, only rule is it must be clean and on a hanger, or that shoes and handbags, accessories etc must be in mint/near mint condition.

And to answer AppGal, that has never seemed to be a problem. A lot of items women give away are thing that have been hanging in their closet, tags still attached and in a size that's too big or too small for them!

Go for it! It's a lot of fun and you'll be surprised at what you may find to add to your wardrobe.

PS We've also done them to benefit Woman's shelter etc by asking each guest to also bring a donation of women's tolietries as well. Most put them in those make up bags that come with the cosmetic bonus' that we never get around to needing or using.

gigiofca said...

That sounds great. I agree w/AppGal and wonder how you get the sizing figured out in advance. Do you invite based on that...or maybe the key is to have a good number of ppl to ensure variety.

Chloe said...

Gahhhh it sounds like a BLAST! But like AppGal, I'm of freakish proportions and don't have any friends my size (height or weight). I keep meaning to check out Fashion Swap (a yahoo group, I guess?) because it's supposed to be something similar, only online style. Hm, maybe one of these days...

Betsy said...

My friends and I do it every 6 or so months...it's a lot of fun!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Doesn't Swishing sound like fun? I too was wondering how it would work if say, everyone was a different size.... I guess I could always settle on accessories.

CK, the name Naked Lady Parties is a hoot. I would LOVE to attend a Swish or a Naken Lady Party for that matter.

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Gigi, I agree. I think the key is to have many people for increased variety in sizes and styles.

I was out for drinks after work with the FFM (Fashion-Forward Managers) on my floor. I brought up the idea of a Swish and they both jumped at it. They thought it was a great idea and want to be a part of it. I don't think that it would be tough trying to find interested parties to be involved. As you'd said, the trick is to find many people so that no one is left out with respect to sizing or styles.

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Chloe, I've never heard of Fashion Swap. I should go check it out!

My only concern about this whole Swishing thing is my HIGHLY EVASIVE COMPETITIVE NATURE. Oh My Gosh, what if I saw something that I have to have???? I would be eye-balling it the entire time before the Swish actually starts and since I'm like a "dog on a bone", I could in fact ruin a few friendships over a measely blouse. Is there anyone else like me out there? I'm such a freak!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Betsy, it sounds like fun!