Tuesday, April 7, 2009

This Ain't Your Mother's Liz Claiborne!











For those who read my post about how my daughter's Girl Guide Cookie Selling Event cost me $500, here's finally, the pictures of the 2 Liz Claiborne Skirts I purchased.

I remember Liz Claiborne as being B.O.R.I.N.G! The look was matronly and downright a yawn! And then last year, Mizrahi was hired to design for Claiborne and I have to say, his Liz Claiborne New York line is amazing!

Have you had a chance to check out his styles for Spring? What do you think of it? If you have had a chance to check it out, here's the link.

So, what do you think???

Anyway, I love the line. I think it's Hip and Happening. It's young and uber pretty! My only complaint is the sizing. I won't go ranting and raving about the sizing again, since I did it once already here. But can you believe it??? Those skirts on me are a size 10 and a size 12 respectively.

I should preface by saying, please pardon the flower tee under the Lea Cardigan. I know it doesn't quite go with the outfit. I just happened to be wearing it when I threw on the skirt adn the Cardigan. If I'm keeping the skirt, I will likely find an off-white tank to wear under it. So, please judge the skirt on its' own merits rather than as an outfit.

The top 2 pictures show me in the size 10. While the bottom 2 show me in a size 12.

Now that I'm sooooo over the size of the skirt, which size do you think looks better on me?

The size 10 sits at my belly button. And since it fits higher, the length is shorter. It stops right at my knee. It's also fuller in the hips since that's where all the fabric is.

The Size 12 sits lower. In fact, it's about an inch below my belly button. It's not a full through my hips and it's certainly longer on my legs.

Which look do you like better? or can you even tell the difference? If you can, what size should I keep? Or should I keep it at all? I'd love to hear your opinions, so please share! Thank you!

31 comments:

Julia said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!! I have an obsession with full skirts, they are so pretty and ladylike! I love this one, the pink is awesome and it looks great on you!

cK said...

I like the size 10 on you better. The size 12 to me, lengthwise that is, borders on matronly while the size 10 looks flirty and fun! I love it with the cardigan too.

PS I got an off white tank at Banana last year that I love, haven't seen them in the stores yet but they tell me their summer is coming.

starla729 said...

who knew liz could be so cute? this is a good find... honestly i can't tell a huge difference between the 2, but i think you should keep the 10. like cK said, it's more flirty and modern looking with the shorter length. don't feel bad at about the sizing either, i'm usually an 8 so who knows what size i'd need in this!! lol.

Crystal said...

I LOVE this skirt! (It's Crystal from etsy.) And it looks beautiful on you! You look fantastic in EVERYTHING and you should show your face more ;-)

KBear said...

I like the size 10.

Jillian, Inc said...

Love it. Def. go with the size 10.

ashley said...

that is a BEAUTIFUL skirt! i'm glad you did get it!

Joyce said...

You are wearing my skirt. it looks great on you!

Candy in Canada said...

I also vote for the size 10. It looks good on you. perfect fit~

KatyO. said...

Totally go for the 10, it highlights your waist more, and has that great '50s flare-out at the hips. (And the next purchase should be a seam ripper to cut off the size-tag ;) ).

gigiofca said...

Gorg! I am so excited about Isaac & Liz.

Size 10 fo' shizzle.

♥ Chloe said...

Keep the size 10, definitely! It looks amazing on you. Love it!

Amy said...

Definitely size 10. Looks GREAT!

Zoë Moët said...

Hmmm...I really like the smaller size skirt, but you have to be careful what you pair it with, because the beauty of it is that it shows off a cinched waist, so you don't want to cover that up. Overall, really pretty!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Julia, I love full skirts as well but sometimes, just not on me. I love them, particularly on tall, leggy women. IMHO, I think it looks best on them. But occasionally, I like them on me - provided that they aren't too full. I particularly like the Belle skirts from J Crew. It has the appearance of a full skirt without all the added fabric bulkiness.

While I'm not crazy about all that gathers around the waist on this LC skirt, I love the print and am willing to live with the added fabric.

Thank you Julia!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

CK, I agree. While I like how the 12 sits below my waist, I do like the look of the 10 better. It's shorter and flirtier and certainly less matronly.

And thanks for the BR tip. I will definitely go check it out! :)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thanks Starla729. I am leaning towards the 10 as well!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Hi Crystal (from Etsy)! How are you? You made me smile with your comment! If I have a particularly good one, I'll look at posting it. :)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thanks KBear! I'm liking the 10 too!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thanks Jillian, Inc. BTW, I love your blogger name. Looks like it will be the 10!

Thank you. :)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thanks Ashley! Isn't this such a sweet skirt? I'm sooooo loving it!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you Joyce for your kind words. :)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you Candy in Canada. What an awesome blogger name too!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you KatyO. The 10 it will be and yes, I will be taking that seam ripper to the tag! Stupid Tag!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

gigiofca, I think that LC definitely did the right thing by bring Mizrahi on board. Prior to his arrival, LC was a dying brand. I remember LC being more readily available but I guess the label was selling and suddenly, I wasn't seeing LC anywhere. Then recently, I received a Spring Catalog from The Bay and was shocked to see that the outfit I loved was by LC. I almost fell off my chair! I can't wait to see what else Mizrahi has in store for LC!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you Chloe! BTW, I'm glad you were able to find a way to get into the Adam dress. It looks amazing on you. If it looked that good on me, hell, I would open the seam and get the tailor to sew it back up while I was still wearing it! Stunning! And yes, I will be keeping the 10.

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you Amy for your nice words. :)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Zoë Moët, I agree. The idea of the full skirt is to show off the clinched waist. I'm still not quite used to having a higher clinched waist just yet. I'm still at the "skirt that sits below your waist" stage.

I will get there and soon, I promise. :)

Thanks!

C said...

The Floral print is great for spring....LC used to have Sigrid Olsen which I liked a lot- apparently that is gone, but the company also does Kensie, Lucky and several other brands that are younger and edgier.

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you C. I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing. :)

C said...

I was reading my April In Style (which I think I've had since February!- slow with the magazine reading) and I think this skirt is on p. 300...it has a selection of the new Claiborne and Isaac...not sure if you have this magazine in Canada or if it is available on their web site. It seems to be in a yellow print too and have a slightly brighter matching floral cardigan.