Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A New "My Delightful Obsession" Creation - Ribbon Fireball Necklace




I have been in-love with both the Firestone Necklace as well as with the Ribbon Necklaces from J Crew. And while playing around with my beads, I came up with this creation, the Ribbon Firestone Necklace.

This hand-knotted necklace consists of 12mm Champagne colored Stone beads interspersed with 10mm Rhinestone Fireballs that form a deep "U" shape complete with grosgrain ribbon ties. The necklace may be worn high, meaning the ribbon is tied at the jump rings so that the Stones meet in the back of the neck; or the necklace may be worn low (as modelled), whereby a portion of the grosgrain ribbon is visible. I personally like my ribbon tied off centre so that the bow shows.

I made this necklace to wear it with my Champagne Silk Dupioni Skirt specifically. I lucked out to find that it goes with tons in my wardrobe.

How do you like my new creation?

13 comments:

Emily said...

OMG So pretty! I love the ribbon that you used for your necklace.


I am in the process of trying to make a J. Crew inspired colorblock necklace. I may have to try and make a ribbon necklace too. Thanks for the pictures!

starla729 said...

I absolutely love this!! The fireballs, the ribbons, it's all so pretty! And such a versatile color. You can wear this with tons of stuff!

Cate said...

sooo pretty! i love it! I attempted to make a similar one but yours came out waaay better :)

gigiofca said...

Super gorgeous. Did you sew your knots at the jump? Also, what type of thread do you use?

bobbyb2 said...

Very pretty! Did you order the beads online?

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you Emily. The ribbon is a regular grosgrain ribbon. Good luck on your ribbon necklace. I hope you'll come and back and tell me how you did. I'm sure it will be lovely!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you Starla729! I have a penchant for fireballs. There's just something about those shiny, glittering balls that have me hooked! I think I was a crow in a previous life. lol!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you Cate. Just curious, how did you do yours and how did it turn out differently? I'm always wanting to know how others make their jewelry. I hope you'll share. :)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Hi gigiofca. No, I didn't sew my knots at the jump. I glued them down and they are nice and firm yet look nicely finished. I did think of sewing them but if the necklace twisted, it wouldn't look as good. I wanted to ensure that it was finished professionally.

I used Ivory Silk Beading Thread. I don't remember the weight exactly but I believe that these were substantially thicker than the ones I've used in the past only because of the size of the bead hole. I hope this helps. :)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you bobby2. No, I don't buy my beads online. I guess I really could but I love going to the bead store myself and there's one not far from my home at the bottom of the hill and I go in there every Saturday. It's kinda of embarassing for I work with the same girl each week. Last week she asked me if I had a business and I told her no. I just do it for fun. She told me that I should consider selling my stuff. I haven't quite figured out if there's a demand for my designs. I guess I'll wait and see.

To answer your question, no I didn't buy these bead online. I much prefer to be able to feel and touch what I design so I shop in person. Just a personal preference, that's all. :)

Kim said...

i LOVE your necklace. Totally jealous. I would buy one:)

Milly said...

very pretty

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you Kim! Actually, you inspired me to open up an Etsy shop. :)

Thank you Milly! :)