Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I think I'm winning or am I?????


I think I'm winning. Or part of me thinks I'm winning anyway.


Yes I have. I have been fighting with myself lately trying to stop myself from hitting the purchase button at J Crew. I have a terrible time saying no to a Sale. A Sale sign is like a huge beacon. It's beckoning me! It's screaming... Come! Check this out! I have lovely, desirable things just for you!


It's been very hard but so far, I haven't purchased anything yet. Though I have to say that it's very sad seeing things disappear from my basket.


So why am I not buying, you ask?


Well, firstly, I've noticed that J Crew has been tacking on a huge Duty Charge on all Canadian purchases. For instance, earlier today, I had approximately $160 worth of items in my basket and when I proceeded to check out, J Crew tacked on a whopping $40 in taxes and duties. THAT'S AN ADDITIONAL 25% THAT I HAVE TO PAY (on top of the shipping charges)! Yikes!


I know, I know... it's not J Crew's fault - it's the Canadian Government ... yes, they want a piece of the tax pie but that's a lot of money. So when I factor in the new Taxes and Duties and then add the exchange on top of that, a pair of Everyday Chinos which is currently being sold for $19.99 now cossts $31.23. I know it's still a good deal but it's now more expensive than I had originally wanted to spend. Waaaah!!!!


The other reason for not buying (for now) is that I'm planning to head across the border to Bellevue on the weekend - which means that I get to see my beloved J Crew collection in person. It's sooooo much more fun to be able to feel, touch, try and check out these pieces on me in person. I love it and cannot wait to go.


Needless to say, that's the reason why I haven't purchased anything lately. I don't know about you but it's very difficult for me when I want to purchase soooooooo badly.


Do you ever go through the same ordeal? Do you fight with yourself in an attempt to figure out if you should buy or not buy? What about the other J Crew Loving Canadians; have the increased duties and taxes turned you off buying J Crew online? KBear brought this to my attention about a month ago and in all honesty, my purchases have declined substantially since. I hope fellow Canadians will share their thoughts on the matter of taxes with me.


5 comments:

cK said...

It TOTALLY turns me OFF!!! I too have resisted pushing the purchase button lately and my cart has been emptying every time I go on to take a look. {{sniff}}

But once that duty (and shipping) is added on, and the item no longer is a sale item but a 10% off item I just can't justify it. Unless it's something I absolutely, positively can't live without. ;)

I'm so jealous you get to go down to Bellevue this weekend! I used to live in White Rock and loved to slip across the border to shop. I'll have to live vicariously through you!!

cK

KBear said...

I've switched my shipping to Canada Post. I've done 5 orders through them. 2 out of 5 had a duty fee. 4 came in a decent amount of time (one week - the same as UPS). My last parcel took three weeks to get here. I think it was because it was one item and was in an envelope in the regular mail. My other orders were in bigger boxes and sent through ExpressPost.

I'm so jealous that you are live somewhat close to a "real" JCrew. I've only been to an outlet in Maine and it wasn't very good.

I've been ordering less from J Crew and more from M&O. Free shipping and returns and no duty make a huge difference. Although, J Crew will always be my favorite, I have to lay off the J Crew ordering for a bit. My credit card and my husband will thank me!

Chloe said...

Admittedly, I am much more willing to click and spend if I have a free shipping code ontop of a discount code. It makes shopping online a bit too easy- well hey, I have 25% off AND they're going to ship it to my lazy butt for free so why not?$40 is ridiculous, though. That would curtail my shopping so freaking fast. Yikes.

Candy in Canada said...

Last month I ordered "star tie neck cardigan" which contains cashmere, the US value is $47.99, then the Canada custom charged me almost the same amount as I paid for my clothing. Of course, I ordered three different colors, then I ended up paying extra $150 only for custom fee. :(

I have spent so much money on J.crew. Just when It come to too much duty charges, it starts to turn me off. This month I haven't purchased anything yet.

Paper Bag Princess said...

I am definitely curbing my spending. I think I try Canada Post shipping like Kbear. But I was worried I would get slapped with the duty once it arrived...