Sunday, April 5, 2009

How my daughter's Girl Guide Cookie Selling Event cost me $500+

It's my daughter's fault. It's entirely her fault ... even though she had nothing to do with what happened and how it ended up costing me over $500. It's solely her fault because I had to drive her to the mall.



My daughter who is 9, had to go help sell Girl Guide cookies at the Park Royal North Mall yesterday. I had originally planned to drop her off and run errands but at the last minute, decided that I wanted to walk around and go the Liz Claiborne department at The Bay to see if I could find the skirt I've been coveting online.


In an attempt to delay my purchase, I thought that I would "window shop". Window Shopping is such a bad idea for me. It's bad because it makes me want to buy stuff.


My first stop was Jacob. While they had a new shipment in of Graphic Tees, I didn't see anything else I liked. Moreover, there wasn't much color at Jacob (actually, they normally don't carry much color - they have nice basic chinos, cords, jeans, etc - but little color). I was proud of my restraint. I guess it's not hard to restrain when there's nothing you like. But I was proud of myself nonetheless.

My next stop was Bennetton. I don't normally shop at Bennetton - I don't know why I don't .... because I really ought to! They carry lots of color and their designs are awesome. Mental note to self: Start shopping more at Bennetton from now on.


Anyway, the reason I had gone into Bennetton was because I spotted what I thought was the cutes pair of Tulip Pink chinos with Flared Legs on the Manniquin in the window and.... I knew that I HAD TO HAVE THEM!


So, off I went into the store. I found them easily. First off, they are not Chinos. They are Jeans. They were Tulip Pink Jeans. How freaking cute is that???!!!


A lovely Sales Associate by the name of Maryanne approached me and asked, what size I needed. I told her "I wear a size 4 pant at J Crew". She then said, these are European sizes. She grabs me a size 42 and says, this is about a size 6 US but they fit small so these should be fine. I was able to get into the size 42 but in all honesty, they looked like they were painted on me. They looked hideous! Absolutely grotesque. My legs looked like 2 shrinked wrapped pink sausage. No shit they fit small! (Ashley - this is for you from your post earlier today) I almost left without trying on a different size. But there was another lady in the fitting room who saw the pants on me and said that she would like to try a pair on as well for she liked how the pink looked on me. Nothing makes me want to buy more than when someone else wants the same thing. So, I tried on a larger size.



I TRIED ON A SIZE 44.



A freaking size 8.



And guess what????? THEY LOOK AMAZING ON!!! Suddenly, my legs didn't look like shrinked wrapped weiners anymore. They sat nicely on me and they were screaming.... BUY ME! BUY ME! BUY ME!!!



I didn't care that they were a size 8. Okay, I kinda did but I liked them soooo much that I had to get them. Moreover, I knew that I wasn't going to find a pair of Tulip Pink Chinos, Pants or Jeans anywhere else. (BTW, these Pink Jeans are the exact color of my Tulip Pink Lulus - how cuuuuuute is that???!!!) While these were Regular Price, (and I seldom purchase anything at regular price - remember, I'm in Finance) but the promotion was "3 days Only, Take 30% off your total purchase", I purchased them. It's not like there were Regular price anymore, were they? I also purchased an amazing handbag and a scarf. But I'll write about that another day.



Then off I went to AE. Again, I don't normally shop at AE but I remembered how much I liked the Jeans that Chloe had on in the pictures found of on her fabulous blog (of which you can check out her post here and here) and kindly told me that they were "AE Real Flare Jeans". I couldn't believe my luck when I found them and to boot!, they were $19.99. Well, I HAD TO HAVE THOSE because they made me look skinnier!!!



Then finally, I made my way to the Liz Claiborne Department at The Bay. For those who haven't had an opportunity to check out Mizhari's hand in the new Liz Claiborne line, Oh My Gosh! You MUST check it out. I've never really liked Liz Claiborne. I've always found their style to be too old, too boring, too blaise. The designs have always been Yawn! and the colors are an even bigger drag. But thankfully, Mizrahi's creativity has added new life into a floundering clothing line. The colors, fabric and texture combination is incredible. The Liz Claiborne New York line is nothing like your mother's frocks from the past. It's hip, it's happening, it's sooooo NOW!

And that's the reason why I had to go check out the new Liz line. When I got to the Bay, I found that most of the line had sold out. The Peony Sweater that I wanted (the one that matched the skirt) was completely gone.... and, I couldn't find a size 4 or 6 in the skirt. I was going to leave when I spotted a size 8. Thinking that the 8 was going to be huge, I thought to myself, ... but that's okay, I can wear it lower on my waist. It'll still be alright.

When I tried zipping up the skirt, I found that the size 8 was waaaaaaay to small in the waist and since it is a dirdl style with lots of gathers around the waist, I suddenly looked like I had a 50 inch waist with a 70 inch hip. I looked like a freaking BELL. Yes, you know, the ones that go DONG! DONG! DONG! just before mass on Sunday.

But I soooooo love the print! I needed to try it on in a larger size. Peering out of the fitting room and unable to find an associate to assist me, (try to picture this), I left the fitting room, still looking like a giant human bell with Puma sneakers on, in search for a larger size. I know that they've got Security Cameras in the store. I can only imagine what those Security people were thinking when they saw a woman creep out of the dressing room in a skirt that obviously didn't fit her and sneakers to boot, searching for a different size on the rack. I must have been quite a scene. Anyway, I found both a size 10 and 12, tried both on, they both fit but could not get over the fact that they were a size 10 and a size 12, so I left completely dejected.

After wandering around for a bit, I decided that I loved the skirt and regardless of the size, I was going to get it. Since I hadn't decided which size I wanted, I purchased both.

I then glanced at my watch and realized that it was past the time I had to pick my daughter up from the Cookie Selling event. My entire purpose of going to the mall was to drop her off. I had no intentions of spending any money. In fact, I've been very good lately. I've been trying desperately not to spend unnecessarily. I didn't even buy anything from the recent J Crew 30% off Final Sale - even though, there were a couple of things I wanted. But I restrained.

And then I go and blow it all in a marathon 2 hour shopping jaunt at Park Royal. That was the most expensive Cookie Selling session we have ever experienced in the 4 years my daughter's been in Guides. I think next time, I'm just going to get my husband to drop her off instead.

10 comments:

ashley said...

LOL! You are too funny! I really enjoy reading your blog because you have such a funny personality!

And you know we all think the same things! I couldn't stop cracking up with your pink sausage remark. LOL! I'm glad you were able to find a great fit regardless of the number on the tag. And your bell comment was even funnier! I could just imagine you walking out peeking to see if the coast was clear and trying not to get noticed and with sneakers on nonetheless!

One thing is for sure that you truly know how to shop!

starla729 said...

i agree with ashley... you are hilarious! this post was a really fun read. it sounds like you got some good deals. i can't wait to see your new outfits (like the tulip jeans and tulip lulus!!) the mall can always suck a girl in, so don't feel bad. we've all been there :) i tell myself on days when i find lots of stuff i like, i have to get them. because there are plenty of days when i set out to shop and i'm looking for certain items and i end up not finding anything. so if i find items i like when i'm not looking, it's a bonus and i have to get them. i don't even know if that makes sense. my own wierd rationalization. lol.

gigiofca said...

That is hysterical. I love your honesty, esp the fact that if you see something on someone else you have to have it. I have been known to feel the same way. Or if someone says it's cute on me then I'll buy it.

HUGE pat on your back for not buying anything on J Crew's 30% off. That's HUGE.

Looking forward to the pics.

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Ashley, I'm glad you enjoyed the post. The image you've got in your mind was exactly me. I was praying that I didn't run into someone I knew. Phew! Luckily I didn't. Oh My Gosh, could you imagine if I had????!!!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Starla729, I totally get where you're coming from. Yes, some days, I am able to find some pretty amazing stuff and other days, I could be scouring the mall forever and I can't even find one stinkin thing I like. So yes, like yourself, I buy when I find it. Also, I've been known to really REGRET not getting something. To only go back and find out that it's sold out and then I spend the rest of my life (okay, not really, but it sure feels like it) searching mall after all, online site after online site, for a similar item when all I had to do was to buy the darn freaking thing in the first place. I've learnt my lesson. :)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

gigiofca, I'm glad you enjoyed my post.

I was somewhat concerned that someone out there was going to take me seriously and think that I was some head-case that blamed my daughter for my shopaholic behavior. In all honesty, it really wasn't at all her fault. If you must know, it's actually my husband's fault because he didn't want to send her there when and asked that I did. So there! IT'S ACTUALLY MY HUSBAND'S FAULT.

♥ Chloe said...

LOL! I'm glad you liked the jeans. I like them so much that I actually went back and bought another pair, for when my first pair wears out. For $20, why the heck not? :D

Zoë Moët said...

Don't worry about wearing a size 8! Sometimes going up a size makes all the difference in terms of how the item falls on your body. Plus, you have a great figure! Perfect hourglass shapes are really underrated these days, but they are simply the best for the type of pretty, feminine styles that are in right now! I too wear a size 8 (and sometimes even 10, gasp!) but I am proud of my small waist and pretty curves, they really work with the type of clothes I love! In short, you should be proud of your cute figure!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Chloe, that's a great idea! It's not like we'll get to a certain age and go pantless. May as well stock up on something we like, right? Good for you!!!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thanks Zoë Moët. I agree. Up sizing certainly makes a difference, doesn't it? In all honesty, had I not up-size on this style, I honestly wouldn't have gotten it and it would have been such a shame for they are super cute jeans. I will post pics as soon as I have them altered to the length I need. I currently have about 6" under my foot. Yes, I'm a shortie.