Monday, March 16, 2009

YOUR THOUGHTS ... on the Boyfriend Jeans Trend


What are your thoughts on the Boyfriend Distressed Vintage Jean Trend? Is it a Do or a Don't? How old, in your opinion, is too old to pull off this look?

The reason I ask is, last week, during my trip to Bellevue, I made a stop at Forever 21 and picked up a cheapy pair of Boyfriend Jeans with pre-made rips and frays. I liked how the jeans looked. They were cut slimmer in the leg, thus allowing me to roll them up easily into a skinny hem. I had planned to wear them with cute heels, a graphic tee, a cardigan topper and a long pearl necklace wrapped haphazardly around my neck to go out to dinner, to the mall, to the movies, lunch with girlfriends, but definitely NOT to work.

My husband, on the other hand, felt that I was too old to be wearing this trend - regardless where I was going. His words were, "You're past this honey! What do you think you are, a teenager???"

So, let me ask you, would you wear this trend? Where would you wear it to? And finally, how old is too old to pull this off?

Am I too old to wear this trend or maybe, it's that my husband's too old for me? (Now, that's funny!!!!) No, seriously, please share. I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on this.

9 comments:

KBear said...

I'm not wearing them just because I simply don't like them. I don't think there is any age cut-off on this trend. If you like it, wear it!

Jordan said...

I don't think there is any age cut off on this trend. I just think how you accessorize it will determine how "age appropriate" it looks. Obviously go for a more JCrew look than a Free People/Abercrombie look.

robinmce said...

I'm in my forties and i could not wear rolled jeans...Brings back the pegged jeans with slouch socks i wore many years ago. i do like the look tho. my solution was to hem some pants to ankle length so I can show off cute shoes. I don't hate it on anyone else but it does read young to me.

shopaholicdiva1027 said...

I never associate that look with a certain age group. I went to lunch with my girlfriend and her
55 year old aunt (who didn't look a day over 45). She was wearing rolled jeans, pumps and a tshirt from Urban outfitter and the first thing I thought when I saw her was "wow, she looks great". I agree, the right accessories will make all the difference. I say go for it.

inkOBSESSIONdesigns said...

I don't think there is an age limit for this either. Go for it!

Petunia said...

Too funny--I asked my hubby this question a few days ago!
I like the look as you described it! I bet it looked good on you.
The SA at my J Crew store is probably in her 50's (but very attractive with longish hair etc.) and she wears her jeans rolled to the ankle all the time. Hers are a darker wash, but she always looks great!

Paper Bag Princess said...

I was a little age-hesitant too [I'm 33] but I bought an AE pair. I think I will feel totally comfortable wearing it on the weekends, for coffee, to Chapters... I'm going to try keeping the other elements a bit conservative - sweater jacket, heels, pearls. Don't listen to your hubby! They mean well, but men tend to be a wee bit conservative when it comes to clothes, and they aren't as in step with with what's hip as we are! Your outfit sounds perfect! ha ha, we should all post some pic of our age-appropriate boyfriend jeans wears!

Christina said...

I am not a fan at all, I just don't think they are flattering on anyone.

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you everyone for your wonderful opinions of which I really value. I honestly don't think that there's a right or wrong opinion - and that's why they're opinions, right? :)

Since I'm still sorta still torn as to whether I am a Boyfriend Jeans sorta person, I decided to take a couple of pictures. If you would be so kind as to check out my new post and let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!