Monday, March 16, 2009

Your Thoughts ... Can I pull off this look?




Months back when the "Boyfriend Jeans" first reared it's head, I thought to myself, Eeeeew! I can't ever see myself in a pair of these jeans. Then something clicked and all of a sudden, I was on the hunt for a pair of distressed Boyfriend Jeans.

Then last week, on my Bellevue trip, I found an inexpensive pair at F21. At $22, I figured, why not, if not for just one season. But when I returned home, my husband (who by the way is 5 years older than I am and extremely conservative, if I may add) thought that the look would be way too young for me.

For those who don't know me, I should explain that I am in my early 40s. My age is only determined by the year I was born for in my mind, I'm sorta stuck at 33 years old and have been for years now. Afterall, isn't the 40s the new 30s?

Anyway, upon returning home this evening, I thought that I would take a couple of pictures of myself in my new F21 Boyfriend Jeans. Since I was somewhat in a rush to get dinner on the table, I sorta threw on what I may wear with these jeans in the middle of the summer. But if I were to wear these now during the Spring, I would likely pair it with a Graphic Tee and Cardigan. For a more casual look, I may simply don a fitted tee.

So, here are 2 pictures of myself. One with flats and the other with heels - both were paired with the boyfriend jeans and ruffle Halter from the Gap. Please pardon the fact that you can see my bra-strap. In normal circumstances, I would have worn a strapless bra instead. Additionally, I would have also worn a coordinating belt.... but I was in a hurry.

So, what do you think? Can I pull off this look?

14 comments:

♥ Chloe said...

Hmm. This is a tough one. I like the look, but I think maybe try rolling them up an inch (or two or three) higher? They're cutting you at kind of a funny place. I have the same problem with some of the jeans I roll, too- an inch too high or an inch too low can do really goofy things to our legs!

I hear you on the age thing- I still think I'm 23. I will always think I am 23. I have no idea why this is. I realized I was turning 28 this year and had a mini-panic attack. Eek!

Lake Nokomis said...

I like the look with the heels. The jeans, heels, silk cami & pearls take the look up a level and I think it works on you. (I am close to your age and have a pair of the jeans on order!)

purplesweettarts said...

Ok, I am 45, so I feel your pain about being concerned about the "age thing". With that being said, I think it is a cute look. But the one thing that I think reads a little young is the distressed jeans. Maybe if the jeans didn't have so many holes and where a darker wash? Please don't take any of this in a bad way because you always look cute in your outfits, in fact, I am going to try this look myself. I am anxious to see what you decided to do!

Petunia said...

Cute! I like the look, but maybe not with the shirt tucked in! :)
(I know they do that partial-tuck thing in the catalog but I don't like that so much.)

fiyah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fiyah said...

Oh my sorry. You look great. Age is simply a number. I never knew worn out jeans had a age restriction. Artist/painters/designers have always worn the look when working. I think rolled jeans work well if they are tight and not bulky material.

gigiofca said...

I suggest the top and jeans only w/the flats. The pearls & lulus make it look like you're trying hard. I think you can do the jeans. Keep in mind they are already embellished so aside from maybe a chunky bracelet, you don't nesc need jewelry. $0.02

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Chloe, I'll try your suggestion and roll them up a little higher. I agree, I think that it's kinda cutting me off at a funny angle. Thanks for the tip! :)

Lake Nokomis, thank you. You'll have to let me know how your jeans work for you! BTW, where did you order yours from? I would honestly have liked to have gotten a darker pair but hey, at $22 I was going to be complaining. Afterall, I expect that I would only be wearing these this year only.

purplesweettarts, I appreciate what you're saying and no, don't you ever worry about me taking anything you or anyone says in a bad way. If I wasn't interested in someone's opinion, I wouldn't be asking for it, right? I'm really cool with it. I would rather hear the truth anytime, anyway. :) As I had mentioned to Lake Nokomis, I think I would have liked a darker denim pair but I guess I should make do with what I have. I've been tossing a few other ideas around and I think I know how to dress it up now and downplay the distressed look. I'll post some more pictures the next time I wear this. :)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thanks Petunia. After I took the pictures, I thought that I could have put the outfit together a little better. I agree, I think a cleaner, tucked in, belted look would look much better or a untucked look much better versus the partially tucked. Thanks for the tip! :)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thanks Fiyah for your kind words.

Gigiofca, I can see what you're saying with the heels and the pearls. Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. :)

Willies said...

The boyfriend jean is not age-specific, and I do think it works on you; however.....I think the "less young" you are, the less distressed your jeans should be. I am in my late 30's, and have also just bought a pair of boyfriend jeans (SWEETIE by!iT JEANS)from my store. LOVE THEM! The Sweetie jeans have minimal distressing, so I think it works for those of us not in our 20's. My sales rep for !iT JEANS is in her 20's, and she had a pair on which were not distressed enough, so she took a cheese grater to them! I have more info on the Sweetie Jean on my blog (http://www.blog.willieswesternwear.com).

Charlee said...

A little late but I LOVE this look. Love, love, love.

And I think it's entirely age appropriate! The jeans are balanced by the relative sophistication of the top. :)

C said...

oh well, I am so close to 50 that I may as well be...I just got skinny jeans at Target and I like them a lot- dark wash. I am not really enthused about the distressed part...but I guess I would not tuck the shirt in- tunic flowy tops are in this year, and maybe wear higher dark peep toe shoes with them (if you can stand heels- they are NOT comfy). For a casual look, maybe a tank top and either flip flops (gasp) or retro sneakers.

anonymous said...

roll them up higher and leave the shirt untucked. otherwise, i like it! love your blog