Monday, March 16, 2009

Today's Outfit - Chartreuse Pearl Necklace







A couple of weeks ago, while shopping my closet, I realized that I actually own a few Chartreuse pieces - of course, they're all not called Chartreuse for if they were, I wouldn't have purchased quite so many pieces of the same color would I, or would I? Hmmmm....

But one thing I did realize was that I needed a necklace in the same color to pull my outfits together. So after much searching, I came to the realization that I had to make something of my own for I couldn't seem to find anything in a similar color.

I finally finished designing this necklace last night and couldn't wait to wear it. The necklace falls to about mid-chest and is made with Chartreuse colored Fresh Water Pearls that have been off-set drilled. I particularly love the way they sit when I wear them. They remind me a lot of J Crew's Stone Bead Ribbon Necklaces which I so love but cannot justify spending $55 for them.

Anyway, today's outfit was built around my new necklace. I've got my Golden Avocado Perfect Fit Flower Tee, Dark Peony Lea Merino Cardigan, Black Trousers from BR, Black Ankle Boots (even though the picture shows Black Pumps - I changed them after - since it was freezing this morning) and topped my outfit off with my new necklace.

What do you think of my new necklace? Was it worth the time and effort or should I have simply gotten the Stone Bead Ribbon Necklace afterall? Personally, I don't remember if the J Crew version ever came in Chartreuse.

12 comments:

The Marty Party said...

Cute outfit! Did you have the flowers on your tank moved? Another JCA said she did, but when I took mine to the tailor, he said the flowers would fall apart when he cut them off. Just wondering if you tried moving them (if so, then obviously the flowers *don't* fall apart). TIA!

smarty :)

KBear said...

I would have never thought to pair the Golden Avocado Perfect Fit Flower Tee with the Dark Peony Lea Merino Cardigan. Now I want to try it out! Looks good!

FabulousFloridaMommy said...

Great job on the necklace, and the colors look fab on you! :)

purplesweettarts said...

Pretty! Pretty! Pretty! Love that necklace. What a great find in your closet!

Christina said...

Super cute outfit. I love the pink/green combo.

fiyah said...

I love the color of the pearls. I have a custom pearl necklace with the hole near the end also. Its very hard to keep the pearls in the right and same direction.
I really wish I would have ordered the Lea in dark peony. I have the Merino Tneck in that color and its simply gorgeous. The Lea is such a great cardi. The buttons really makes it a timeless and special piece.

gigiofca said...

I love the pink & green. The necklace is well worth it. It's very unique. I like it. Where did you find off centered drilled beads?

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you Smarty. Yes, I did move the flowers and no they didn't fall apart. You can actually do it yourself. No need to bring it to a tailor. You'll need a pair of cuticle scissors and good lighting. Turn the tank inside out and snip the threads that hold the flower to the tank. Please be very careful NOT to cut a hole in your tank. Once the thread has been cut, you simply have to use a needle to unhook all the thread that's holding the flower down. Once the flower is detached from the tank, you can basically move it anywhere you want it to. The flower is sewn separately so there's no chance that it will fall apart. I basically moved my flower to the center of the top and sewed it back in place. Viola! The flower is now in the perfect spot - just where you want it and not by the armpit which I thought was a silly place to put it in the first place (JMHO) If you need further help on this, let me know. I can maybe do a tuitorial on moving the flower. :)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

K Bear. Thanks for your kind words. It's a different color pairing but it does go nicely, doesn't it?

Thanks FFM. :)

Thanks Purplesweettarts. It was fun finding all of my Chartreuse pieces in my closet. It was also fun making the necklace. It was a lot of work but fun, nonetheless.

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thanks Christina. :)

Fiyah, I actually quite like the way the beads flop all over the place. I think it makes it more interesting. I was hoping that mine would be more flippy-floppy. :) The Lea is such a timeless piece, isn't it? Because I am short, I find that the Lea fits me best. I can't seem to do this season's longer cardigan. It makes me look like I'm ill and wearing a cardi to keep warm. Does it make sense?

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Gigiofca. I have a small side hobby and that hobby is is to make necklaces - I don't do it often because 1.) I don't have a whole lot of time. 2.) It's expensive to make these necklaces. But to answer your question, I purchased it from a gem and stone store. They've got them in a whole lot of colors and they aren't overly expensive. The necklace - Fresh water pearls, plus mini crystal beads and all the accessories, ie. silk thread, clasp, etc. cost me $30. It's slightly cheaper than the J Crew necklace but at least now I have something unique, right? Are you looking for off-set beads as well?

gigiofca said...

Thanks for the detailed info. Yes, I've been looking for a bead similar to the one J Crew has. I want it more round than teardrop or square. I actually purchased the ribbon glass bead necklace in dark fog, but I want to learn whow to make my own.