Wednesday, March 25, 2009

How do you tell someone to quit calling in sick????!!!

There are 2 types of people in this world. The Martyrs and the Victims.

The Martyrs are those crazy ones who .... who make a 3 hour drive to work on a snowy day, .... who come to work when they have the sniffles, .... who won't complaint and stay when there's a blizzard outside. They are the work-horses, the people you can count on, the ones I appreciate the most at work.

Then there are the Victims. These are the ones who will call in sick when it's dusting outside, .... when they have a heavy period, .... when they have a slight cold. They request to go home when they feel like they've got a cold coming one. They are the first ones out the door each evening and the last to arrive. They get by doing as little as possible in hopes that no one catches them.

I had a Victim who once worked for me. She once asked me if she could work a 4 hour day (and still be paid for a full 7 hour day) in the Winter time? She wanted to wait for the ice to thaw before she came to work for fear of slipping and falling. When I told her that I expected her to start when everyone did, she accused me of wanting her to break her neck! No where in the conversation did I once say, "Hmmm... I would like you to break your neck." Trust me, I would have liked to, but I refrained.

All of our work places have people like that. In fact, we have Martyrs and Victims in all aspects of our lives... yes, even in our own families.

My mom, although I love her to death, is a Victim. Every little sniffle is a life-threatening disease and every pain means that she needs to get surgery. She drives me nuts because I, on the other hand, am a Martyr. I am a sickening Martyr. I can't help it. Some days, it drive me nuts. Hell! It drives my husband nuts for every so often, I will hear him say...."Just give up the Cross already please! for someone else needs the Wood".

But deep down inside, I'm really no different than the Victim. Trust me! I want to stay home on those snowy days. I don't want to drive on the highway to go to work. I want to curl up in bed when I have a cold. I want to be the first to go home when it starts to snow. I want to go home when I've got a headache. I don't want to go to work when I have my period. I don't want! I don't want! I don't want!

BUT I DO WHATEVER IS EXPECTED OF ME ANYWAY!!!

Why???

BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT THERE ARE THINGS THAT NEED TO BE DONE AND I'VE GOT RESPONSIBILITIES AND THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO ARE COUNTING ON ME... AND IF I DON'T DELIVER WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO DELIVER THEN, I WOULD ULTIMATELY BE LETTING THESE PEOPLE DOWN!

In short, I feel all the things that the Victims feel. So, why is it that the Victims are okay with calling in sick when it's snowing out? When they've got a very slight cold? When they've got their period? When it's icy outside? When... When... When....?????

Why do they feel like they're entitled to more?

It's not like the Martyrs are healthier than the Victims but why is it that Victims take WAY MORE sick days than Martyrs?

HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU TELL A VICTIM TO QUIT BEING A VICTIM??????

4 comments:

dinagideon said...

As someone who detests the snow and ice, I seriously don't know how anyone can live where there is enough snow and ice that they have to go to work when there is that weather. I would fail miserably as a human being in your part of the world. ;)

I will say, though, around here I am closer to being a martyr than a victim, but I think that is because my mother-in-law is not only a victim, but a passive-agressive victim. (This is the absolute worst...) I really would prefer to be nothing like her in that regard!!!

Good luck...I am sure it will all work out, but man, working through inner-office politics just stinks sometimes!!!

Keep us up-to-date. Reading about appgal's dealings with her student teacher had me on the floor laughing on a regular basis.

Emily said...

Let me know if you find an answer. I have 2 employees and 2 other co-workers that do this same crap. If I had the authority, they all would have been fired a long time ago. But, those above me buy into their stories and feel sorry for them...it's ridiculous. Good luck!!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Dinagideon, like you, I detest snow and I as well, to the point where I'm almost terrified of going out in the snow for I don't have snow tires but all-seasons. But since I've lived in this climate since I was 13, I've learnt to cope. It's one thing for someone who's not used to the weather. But for those who have lived here all their lives, there's no reason why they can't go out in the ice and snow. And no, I don't believe that you would fail miserably if you had to live here. :)

Passive-Agressive Victims are a kind of their own. You've got my sympathies, that's for sure!

I'm sure that everything will eventually work itself out but one thing I've learnt (and I've learnt it well) is that if I don't deal with something immediately, it keeps coming back to bite me in the ass until I deal with it. That said, earlier this evening, I've decided that I'm going to be sitting down with my biggest Victim come Monday (she'll be sick until them - don't you just love how others can predict how long they'll be sick for???) to find out what her priorities are. I will keep you posted.

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Emily, luckily I have an amazing boss who is very supportive. Unfortunately, I manage in an environment where employees virtually have a job for life. Yes, Lifers. They're extremely tough to manage particularly when they are all older than I am and have been there for longer than I've been out of business school.

As I said to Dinagideon, this has been an ongoing issue for me and with these types of issues, I've found that unless I deal with them head-on, they keep coming back to haunt me. So... Monday. Monday is when I will deal with this matter. Good luck with your situation. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)