Monday, March 16, 2009

Homemade Soup for the Soul - Golden Beet Soup



One of my new obsessions is to make Soup - yes, Soup. Delicious, warm the cockles of your heart, homemade soup. This is the 3rd homemade soup that I've made and decided that I would share my new obsession with you. Part of my new obsession is to modify a recipe from regular / high-fat to a delicious low-fat recipe. So, here's my....

Low Fat Golden Beet Soup

Serves 4

1 tbsp. olive ol
2 medium Sweet Onions (ie. Walla Walla)
2 lbs Golden Beets, cooked, peeled and chopped
1 large Russet Potato
4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
4 tablespoons low-fat Sour Cream
Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh Dill

Heat olive oil in medium-size pot and saute onions for about 5 minutes. Add beets, potatoes, salt and pepper. Saute for another 3 minutes. Add the chicken or vegetable broth. Bring to boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.

Cool slightly then puree in batches in blender until smooth.

Adjust seasonining. Serve in bowls and swirl in a tablespoon of low-fat Sour Cream and sprinkling of chopped Dill.

Delicious! Low-Fat! ... and perfect for a cold and rainy Vancouver Day!

No comments: