Monday, February 2, 2009

Things I'm Wanting but will not be Buying ...

Pearl Cluster Bracelet

for now, that is.

4th day into my vow of Shopping Abstinence! I'm surviving. And it's not like, I'm barely surviving but ... I'm really surviving. I'm doing okay!

Of course I've thought about shopping. I miss running to the mall and running my fingers through the pretty blouses and shiny jewelry. And of course, I've felt the pangs of wanting to buy something new just for me.

But I haven't. I haven't purchased anything since taking my Oath to not buy anything and I have to say, I'm pretty proud of myself. But I have looked.

There's nothing wrong with Window Shopping. Afterall, Window Shopping is really no different than say, checking out a hot-looking guy. Just because you're married doesn't mean you're buried. And I truly believe that you can always look, just not touch... and in my case, look but not buy.

So, I've been looking and I've found a few really cute things I want from J Crew.

Sun-Bleached Applique Tee





Solid Silk Garland Cami





Tissue Rolling-Ruffles Tank

Ringspun Cotton Rosette Tee


Molten Metallic Tank

Tissue Painted-Stripe Tank

So there are a few items I really want. I know that I will certainly be purchasing the Pearl Cluster Bracelet, Tissue Painted-Stripe Tank and the Molten Metallic Tank when my ban is lifted. As for all of the other items, while I like them, I am not "in-love" with them.

Luckily for me, I'm not crazy about J Crew's Spring collection. The colors are a little too washed out for my taste. I'm not a pastel-colors kind of person. I like big, bright, bold colors like bright Reds and Pinks, and stunning Oranges and Purples. While I can wear some pastels, on the most part, these colors just wash me out.

What do you think of J Crew's Spring Collection? What do you have your eye on? What will you DEFINITELY be buying? or, not buying ... for a while?

7 comments:

A Bigger Closet said...

I wish I had your resolve, but I don't, although I have tried. :) I already broke down and ordered a few spring items including the chain and pearl bracelet, sateen pencil skirt, rosette tee and a tea rose cardi. I agree with you that the new pastels aren't very inspiring, especially after the delicious, bright colors that were in the fall/winter collections.

FabulousFloridaMommy said...

I have the Rosette tee, the Tissue Rolling Ruffles tank, and 2 of the Dainty Layering Necklaces. I almost purchased the Saturday pants in the Moss color, but just couldn't bring myself to pay $70 for them. I tried on the Garland Cami and Painted Striped Tank, and didn't really like the way either of them looked on me.

Congratulations on your success with your shopping ban!!! Stay strong!!

bug pin said...

Well, they say it takes 21 days to break a habit and I am on day 22. My ban is one year though so I am guessing I am going to need a lot more luck than you:) I am having fun living vicariously, peeking into other fashionistas' creative minds and shopping my closet. Honestly, I already feel freer:)

I am reading A LOT of blogs with many mentions of shopping bans and many mentions of shopping the closet. I see a change coming in the way people look at mass consumerism and the situation with the economy is the wake-up call that we all need.

I have read some blogs about people that took a one year ban. They describe it as life changing and recognize it as an affirmation that we are indeed trying to fill a void with "stuff." Shift all that time and energy stalking the retail websites into making a difference in someone else's life and feel the rewards come back to you, twenty-fold. Of course, all while wearing some fabulous re-invention of the clothing and accessories you already own:)

Best to look at what we have, appreciate it more and wear it like we coveted it before we ever owned it. See how creative we can be with things we already have and stop chasing that feel-good feeling of buying and buying and buying and never feeling satisfied. I could go on and on and I keep trying to live what I am saying..day by day. I will step down now:)

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; but remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for."

"You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy."

All the best in your daily journey to reinvent your wardrobe:)

bug pin said...

Followup:
check out this fantastic blog:
http://www.alreadypretty.com/

check out the article on shopping and your brain..you will need to scan down until you see the big, pink mass known as the human brain. I love reading the comments from people as well--so insightful!

dinagideon said...

Hi! I agree with A Bigger Closet...I went ahead and ordered the fabulous cami and cardigan in the fresco print. Last January I bought a lot of the Bahia print so this is typical of me. At least I applied the teacher's discount to the total.

I will wait a bit longer for the other items I love but cannot justify buying at full price because I know they will go on sale (like the pants and some of the party dresses).

Good luck with your goal!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

A Bigger Closet, I'm really trying not to buy anything. I've come really close but so far, I haven't pulled the trigger. I guess it's a good thing! :) Congratulations on your recent purchase. I'm terribly envious, in a good way, that is. :)

FFM, I want what you got! How do you like the Tissue Rolling Ruffles Tank? I've got my eye on it but was concerned that the ruffles might add bulk to my frame. What are your thoughts on it? Also, just curious, why didn't you like the Garland Cami nor the Painted Striped Tank? You might just be able to sway me from buying them. (That's what I'm hoping anyway!)

Bug_Pin, I didn't realize that it takes 21 days to break a habit. Interesting! Congratulations on Day 22. I'm on Day 5. I've got a long ways to go! URGH! I honestly don't know if I can do a 1 year ban. That's a very long time! I'll be thrilled if I can go 60 days, really. But I'm hoping that I won't have to go that long because I don't want my Rewards Card to expire without having to spend it. Question: If I spend only the money on my Rewards Card and no more, would that count as spending money? lol! BTW, love the AlreadyPretty blog.

Dinagideon, thanks for the words of encourangement. I need it. So far, it appears that I'm doing okay. But then again, it's been less than a week. Ask me again in a few weeks time. LOL! Congratulations on your recent purchase. They sound lovely! You'll have to post some pics when you receive them!

bug pin said...

Oh-I should clarify! My ban only includes cash going out for clothing, shoes and handbags. I am allowing myself to receive gift(s) (of a certain $ amount to be determined) of my choice (keeping a wishlist) for holidays such as B-day, mom's day, Anniv, Christmas etc.

Rewards card is not considered $ going out as long as I don't spend over the amount. If I were to sell something on Ebay or JCA exchange, I could buy something else but right now I would have to consider paying my next JC bill with any extraneous $$ like that. Plus, I don't NEED anything;)