Thursday, February 5, 2009

I can almost smell the Plumeria!






I'm one step closer to going to Hawaii! Whoooo Hooooo!!!!
You see, I'm trying to plan our next Tropical Vacation and have decided on Maui. Unfortunately, my husband isn't quite on board with this just yet. My husband is a procrastinating, does-not-like-to-plan for anything (let alone an event that is to take place over a year from now), commitment-phobic individual.

About 3 years ago, my husband and I made a pact that come hell or high water, we would go on a Tropical Vacation annually. Let's face it, I work way too hard to not enjoy my time off. So, my husband and I agreed that we would go away every year. So far, we've managed to do just that. The first year was Puerto Vallarta. The second year was Cancun. This year, we cruised the Mexican Rivera; and next year, we'll go to Hawaii.

Well, kinda that is. At the current time, I'm going to Hawaii. My husband isn't going ... yet. I guess I'll be having 2 wonderful weeks in Maui with our daughter! Hmmmmm.... I wonder if I should send him a postcard?

I would really love for my husband to come to Maui with us. After all, it really wouldn't be the same without him. After all, who's going to watch our daughter in the pool as I fall asleep under a Palm-Tree? Really!

But seriously, I am a step closer to getting my husband to Maui.
You see, he was originally going to use my Frequent Flyer miles, (that's right MY FREQUENT FLYER MILES) to fly home to visit as his parents as well as go on his annual Golf Trip with his buddies. Let's face it. The primarily reason for his trip was to go golfing. If he wasn't golfing, I doubt that he would even go home. After all, he only calls his parents twice a year! So, let's not mince words here! He wants my points to go golfing.
Naturally, I refused. Does he actually think I'm stoooopid? If the points are gone, there's no way in hell that I'm going to ever be able to convince him to spend $3000 for tickets to fly him, our daughter and me to Maui! After all, it would be more cost effective to buy a ticket to Toronto than it was to buy a ticket to Maui.

You see, a Regular Fare ticket to Toronto is approximately $800 including taxes. But a Regular Fare ticket to Maui, including taxes is approximately $1,000. Although the difference is small, doesn't it make more sense to pay for a ticket to Toronto than to pay for tickets to Maui??? Duh!

But Noooooooo, being the ever frugal and financially challenged person my husband is, he kept insisting on using my points. He figured, why pay for a ticket when I can get it for free. He's missing the boat completely on my long-range plans. URGH!

Fortunately, I received an email from Air Canada yesterday announcing a Seat Sale. My husband could fly to Toronto for $490 including all taxes, plus the $22 fee each way for his pre-advance seat selection! Imagine that! $490! That's half of the cost for one person to fly to Maui.

Naturally, I called my husband to tell him of the Seat Sale. After confirming his travel dates, I went ahead and booked his flights. So, what does all this mean, you ask?

It means that I still have over 80,000 Frequent Flyer Points to fly 2 people to Maui and back. That's right! 2 people! I am a step closer to getting my wish. Did I tell you that we will be staying at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas? Those are pictures of the resort at the top of this post. Isn't it beautiful? I know that our daughter will LOVE the pools, water-sides and water-falls.

But I have one question.
Er...Since I only have enough points for two, do I take my husband or do I take our daughter? Hmmmm... Decisions! Decisions!

5 comments:

♥ Chloe said...

I love Hawaii. I got married on the island of Kaua'i and honeymooned there- it was beyond gorgeous! I want to go back so badly- Husband's goal in life is to eventually have a home there. I wouldn't complain!

I'd say take Hubby, because it's a great place for a romantic vacation. :D

Mslay said...

Take your Husband!!!!!!!!!!!! Baby is too young to even remember HAwaii, right? Sounds like you need to get some presonal time with just you and your man.

Mslay said...

Wait...how old is your daughter? Sorry, I was assuming she was a baby. The age of your daughter could make a huge difference, are you two close?

Emily said...

I love Hawaii! I went with this crappy ex-bf, so the memories aren't that great. But I loved the place, I'd love to go back one day (with my husband this time!) :) Definitely take whoever you can, no one should pass it up!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Chloe, I've never been to Kaua'i. I would love to go. I've been to Maui and to Oahu. That was 14 years ago... with my ex-fiance. When we were in Maui we stayed in Wailea. I absolutely LOVE Maui.

Mslay, I agree with you and Chloe. I might just have to go with my husband, though I think that our daughter would absolutely hate us for it. lol! BTW, she's almost 9. She turns 9 Feb 24.

Emily, Hawaii is amazing. Like yourself, I was there with my ex. It's been so long since we were last there. Funny, we called off our engagement after that trip. We're friends today but it took a long time. I so understand what you mean about the memories. I hope you'll be able to go back with your husband, the love of your life. :)