Sunday, January 4, 2009

Dressing for Success



Isn't this top simply stunning? It's screaming, Buy Me! Take Me Home! Not only do I love the style, I also LOVE the print!

Not only does it look great with Jeans, it will also look awesome with trousers or a pencil skirt for the office (with either a cardigan or a jacket over it, that is). I personally think that it's somewhat too risque to wear on it's own to the office. I am from the school of thought that there's an appropriate place and time for everything. For work, a jacket or cardi over this would be perfect. After work, this blouse should be worn on its' own. Don't you agree?

Talking about risque wear, I cannot believe some of the stuff people wear in my office. If I didn't know any better, I'd thought that they were either going out for the evening or working the evening! It was a real eye-0pener for me when I first arrived at my current place of employment.

You see, I had originally come from a Japanese Auto Manufacturer who had a strict dress-code. That's probably where I had instilled in my head that Jeans were not appropriate for work. Then again, neither were Capris, Cropped Pants, ... actually any kind of pants that exposed the ankles, Cargo Pants, Tees of any kind, Halters, Cropped Tops (okay these 2 made perfect sense), Sandals, ... the list goes on and on and on. It was truly over the top!

Then I arrived here and it's like ANYTHING GOES. So, as you can imagine, I was completely appalled to see halter tops being worn without jackets, Camis (yes Camis worn alone), Bra Tops, Cropped Tops and worse yet, painted on Leggings with a short belly-baring top... on someone who really shouldn't be wearing Leggings or a belly-bearing top for that matter. OH MY GOSH! As you can imagine, it was like I'd died and gone to Fashion Hell!

I don't believe that companies should have dress codes. I think that everyone should be able to use some good judgement when it comes to dressing for the office. Why is it so difficult for some to disern appropriate from inappropriate????

So, for those who are somewhat unsure as to what's appropriate, here's a quick run down:
  • If your bra is visible, don't wear it.
  • If any part of your boob is showing, cover it up. Some cleavage is okay but there shouldn't be so much cleavage that others can actually see the front clasp of your bra.
  • Wear a cami under a see-through blouse. No one wants to see the color of your bra. It doesn't matter that your bra has DIAMANTES on them. No one wants to see them - except when you're on a stage.
  • Wear a cardigan, throw, jacket, etc over Halter Tops, Bra Tops, Camis and the like, particularly in the Winter. I do not believe for a moment that you're so warm-blooded that you're HOT all year round!
  • Painted-on Leggings should not be worn PERIOD! If you have a huge compulsion to wear such leggings, please wear it over something that hides your crotch since you've pulled your leggings up so high that it completely outlines your privates.
  • Skirts should cover your ass. If it shows any part of your trunk, it's not appropriate.
  • Check yourself out in the mirror before leaving the house. If you look like you'll be starring in an Adult Movie, Music Video or a combination of the two, wear something else.

Are there people in your life that dress inappropriately? Does it irk you like it does me?

7 comments:

♥ Chloe said...

I agree- I just love that top (and the dress in the matching print!). I need it need it neeeeeed it.

No one in my life dresses inappropriately, thank goodness. For the most part, people in my life (at my work place) dress too conservatively- most are happy with their frumpy sweater twinsets and mom-jeans. So it goes. *shrugs*

bug pin said...

Love this top/print..not the price.

I agree and I am sure you already read my rant on the JCA so you don't need to hear it again but people generally need to get fit and take a peek at themselves before leaving their homes-these often go hand in hand!

FabulousFloridaMommy said...

I really love the top, too...so pretty!

I am in total agreement that people, in general, need to dress more appropriately. Living in Florida I see MORE than my fair share of over exposed skin, hineys, cellulite, cleavage...the list goes on and on...it's quite sickening to be honest. I miss the days of *Old Hollywood* when people actually *dressed* on a daily basis, to travel, to go to work, or to just stay at home. I think the world in general has become too laid back and sloppy in it's attire...something needs to change...

I personally do hair, makeup, cute outfit everyday...yes, even when staying at home...it really makes a difference in the way you feel about yourself, your life, and how you handle situations in general...I REFUSE to become one of the SAHM/WAHM's with *mom* jeans, tennis shoes, and sweats, and it's been somewhat of a personal mission of mine to help other SAHM's to break out of the *mom* clothing trap, too. Just because you have children doesn't mean you have to lose your sense of self or become a slob. (Stepping down off of soap box now). ;)

One is Never Enough said...

Yes, I love the top. I'm 5'2" and usually have a problem with the length of most tops and have to hem about 2" unless I can get a petite size.

I used to have a boss that would wear a white satin cami with a very thin bra. Needless to say, no one could look her in the eye! She also loved the sprayed on leggings. Her boss actually asked me to talk to her about it (since he was a guy he felt embarrassed about it). I refused -- I didn't have a death wish!

My mother used to call it "pride" in yourself. People don't seem to have it so much anymore. (Either that or they don't have mirrors with good lighting.) I too dress head to toe J. Crew even when I'm home alone. I love mixing the different pieces in different ways every day.

Some days I feel I'm having a really "off" day until I go out and see how most people aren't even trying! Where's the pride?

Leslie said...

First of all...great post!! You had my ready to spit out my coffee with laughter!!

I love this top and dress as welll...albeit, a little pricey. I'll wait on this one...you know it will be on sale eventually.

I agree with FFM (ha...something new and different! not...:) People need to step up to the plate and look in the mirror. You don't need to spend a lot of money to look decent, especially in the workplace.

O/T: What auto maker did you work for?? Small world...my DH has been in the industry for about 12 years, first with Volvo/Ford and now Maserati!! I knew we had a lot in common, but this is getting ridiculous! Ha!!

Slastena said...

Love the post, enjoyed reading it.
In terms of top, I actually liked the giraffe one a little better- very fun, and cost half of this one.:)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

I agree with everyone, LOVE the top but not the price point! Slastena, I too love the Giraffe and it's only half the price!

Leslie, I used to work for Honda. Talk about a small world, huh?! I really believe in that 6 degrees of separation thing. You won't believe the number of people I've met from different walks of life who share the same friends. It's quite strange!