Thursday, December 18, 2008

Would have been Pretty in Plum but.....


When is this horrible cold weather going to stop? If I wanted to live in Antartica, I would have moved there a long time ago. I hate the cold. I don't mean to sound like a party pooper, but I don't like snow. I love the look of snow in the mountains but I don't want it on my lawn, my drive way or on the streets. Well, okay, maybe just on Christmas Day but not any other time. I can't take this cold any longer. Furthermore, I'm running out of warm (read Very Warm) clothes to wear. All of the 14-gauge Merino Wool sweaters from J Crew just aren't warm enough!!!


So oddly enough, I'm wearing a 14-gauge Merino Wool sweater today. But for extra warmth, I brought along my Penny Boucle Jacket, just in case... and Thank God I did because it's been freezing all day and I've worn it over my sweater.


Under my sweater is a Perfect Fit Tank in Dark Fog but do you think anyone can see that? Of course not, because I've had my darn sweater buttoned up completely today because it's soooo cold! But I love the look and color of my Merino Flower Cardigan. A few people commented on the lovely Plum color but unfortunately, I had to cover the sweater up with my Penny Boucle Jacket. But for those interested, I have the Merino Flower Cardigan in the Small. I had originally purchased it in the Medium and found it to be too big. The small is the perfect size. The wool is thin and it's most suitable for Fall or Spring weather, not weather in the North Pole. There are 2 flowers - both plum but one's darker than the other. I tend to wear this sweater with Greys because the buttons are a dark grey and the grey just sets off the color of the sweater perfectly - hence, the dark grey dress pants on today. For accessories, I am wearing a cheap silver chain necklace from Le Chateau. It cost me $2 but it's very cute with 1 inch round disco style balls and clear crystal balls on the necklace (sorry the picture isn't the necklace I'm wearing). And on my feet are black ankle boots.


So, had it been warmer, I would have been so pretty in plum but because it was so darn cold, I had to wear my black penny jacket all day so after the first half hour in the office, no one could see that I had on a pretty plum sweater. All in all, I ended up looking Drab in Black and Grey.


At least I found out how warm the Penny Boucle Jacket is. This jacket runs on the large side. I have it in the size 4 (purchased it without first trying it on - when it was on Final Sale. Note to self, don't do that again!) But I could really have gone into a 2 or even a 0. Oh well. So, I wear the Penny mostly as Outerwear which is just fine for Vancouver. But on a day like today when it was Minus 11 with the Windchill, it was perfect for in the office.


Do you like the cold or are you a warm weather person like I am? What would you wear to keep yourself warm yet fashionable? I'd love to hear your ideas!

9 comments:

FabulousFloridaMommy said...

Beautiful outfit once again! Too bad it was so cold the plum had to be covered up...it's such a beautiful color! I just can't believe it is so COLD there! It was 80 something here yesterday...much too warm for December, IMO. I prefer cooler weather, but don't think I'd care to live in the snow for a long period of time. It takes extra time to get my boys ready to go anywhere when I have to bundle each one of them up, and I can't imagine having to do that on a daily basis. The downside to living where it's warmer year round is that I miss out on a lot of the fabulous Winter fashions...I recently purchased the Madeline Coat in Black and haven't even had a chance to wear it (which is probably good because it's supposed to go under the Christmas Tree as a gift from my DH)...I've even been contemplating returning it, since I don't know how much use I'll actually get out of it.

Oh...I live just outside of Orlando (not too far from Disney World). I know you asked that in another thread, but since I'm on this one, I figured I'd answer now. ;)

Can't wait to see what you are wearing today! Do you have any fun plans for the weekend?

AppGal said...

Love the outfit! At least YOU knew your were "pretty in plum," right? :)

I can't believe it is minus 11 where you are! I love cold weather & snow, but wind chill just makes me cranky. We've had some negative 20-30 somethings where I live (not yet this year though, thank goodness).

AppGal said...

oops, "you" not "your." the teacher in me had to correct that :)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you FFM! I'm envious that it's so nice and warm where you're at. 80 is warm for December. In my late twenties, I dated a guy who lived in Miami and I don't remember it being that warm when I was there at that time. I love Florida. The sad part is I realized that I liked Florida a lot more than I liked him. lol! Needless to say, that was the end of our relationship. But I do miss your weather and I'll glady trade places with you.

I really like the Madeline coat. I've been contemplating buying one. How does it fit? Does it nip it at the waist or is it more empire style?

Do you go to Disney World much since you live so close to it? My husband and I had originally planned to take our daughter to Disney World January 2009 but we didn't want to have to deal with the Toronto airport being shutdown due to a snowstorm so we decided to go on a Mexican Riviera Cruise out of LA instead. We leave in a few weeks. Yipee!!!

As for the weekend, Hmmmmm, suprise, surprise, it's supposed to snow. Which may ruin part of my plans. We're entertaining at home tomorrow night. My husband has a business associate (who's new to Vancouver), his wife and 2 girls come for dinner. On Sunday, after church, I'm supposed to drive out to Langley (it's about an hours drive on the highway) to a Farewell party. An old collegue of mine and his family are moving to Toronto and I really want to say goodbye. We're supposed to get a huge dumping on Sunday and if it snows, then I'm not going to be able to go and say goodbye. I hope it doesn't snow. :(

What are your plans for the weekend? Are you ready for Christmas? I would imagine that you'd have a whole lot of presents hidden for the boys. :)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Hi AppGal, you're so sweet. I wore plum yet again today and this time everyone could see it. lol!

It's never really this cold in Vancouver. We're on the West Coast and it's usually rainy here. We don't normally get snow and hardly ever for this length of time. I read in the paper this morning that for the first time since 1971, all of Canada (and that's a lot of land) will have a white Christmas. I've never ever experienced a White Christmas. Last year, it snowed slightly on Christmas day but then the rains came and washed it all away. We're famous for our Green Christmases instead.

Are you ready for Christmas?

FabulousFloridaMommy said...

The Madeline Coat is very cute, and it does nip in at the waist just a bit. I got a size 6 so that I wouldn't feel constricted if I wear a sweater under it, but now I'm thinking it's too big, and all the size 4's are sold out, so I can't try one to know for sure. I tried on the 4 and 6 in the store and decided on the 6, but now I think I need the 4...ugh!!! I hate these kind of decisions and issues!

We don't go to Disney World that much since it's so expensive, but we have a friend who gets us in every now and then. I was just there with her in October for the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot. It was fun since it was just the two of us without any husbands or children. :)

This weekend isn't overly exciting...last night was a Christmas party at my in-laws. Today my DH went fishing over at the West Coast, so I have been catching up on laundry and picking up after the boys...I will clean house on Monday or Tuesday to get ready for Christmas. :) Tomorrow morning is Church, and then I need to head out to get stocking stuffers and a gift for my dad. I may run out to J.Crew if time permits to return the Pillow Ring.

As for gifts...in our house Santa brings a present for each child on Christmas Eve, and DH and I do the rest, so our gifts are already under the tree. There just isn't enough room to try and hide them all. ;)

AppGal said...

Yes I suppose I am somewhat ready for Christmas. I'm a schoolteacher, and because of snow days our last day is tomorrow (Monday), so work is kind of getting in the way of feeling Christmas-y (we were supposed to be out on the 18th!) Once Monday afternoon hits and we start our family tour, I'll feel it more :) Thank goodness I have already finished my shopping!

FFM: I lived in FLA for a while when I was younger (the Tampa area) and I remember one Christmas it was cold enough for flurries. I'm talking "flurries" because you could hardly see them they were so tiny and inconsistent. It was hilarious though because everyone freaked out...I think it was the only time i wore a sweater the whole time I lived there :)

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

FFM. you've got such a small stature that I'm thinking that the Madeline 6 would be somewhat large on you. But don't give up hope. The website is currently sold out but there may be a return and you'd be able to get one then. The other option is to use the WWFIFY. They've located sale merchandise for me in the past so I'm sure they ought to be able to help you find a 4 if there's one out there available. What color did you get it in?

The food and wine festival at Epcot sounds wonderful. I would really have enjoyed that. I wish I could have gone with you too!

In our home, Santa brings each of us a couple of small gifts each. And the rest is covered by my husband and I (most I since he's only responsibility is to buy for me). But we hide all the gifts and on Christmas eve, after Caitlin has gone to bed, we'll put out all of the gifts. And even though Santa only brings her a couple, she always things that he bring all of them - including the ones from us. It's quite funny, really. I will have to tell you about our House Elf. I'll definitely post something on Herman sometime before Christmas.

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

AppGal, I hope your Monday goes by fast so that you can start enjoying the holidays.

I know that the school term is different in the states than it is here in Canada. In Canada, we go back to school on Labour Day and the last day of school is normally around mid June. We get 3 weeks off at Christmas and 2 weeks off for Spring Break. Is that the same for you?

Do you wear your J Crew items to school? You must be the envy of many a parents and teachers being so fashionable and all. :) What grade do you teach?