Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve


Outfit for Dec. 31, 2008

Candy Tee in Champagne - Sz Small
Herringbone Ecole Jacket in Bright Rhubarb - Size 4
Pinecone, Squirel Bracelet (Extremely Heavy but Cute)
All of the above are by J Crew.
Black Ankle Boots - Nine West
SuperNova Check Satchel - Burberry

When did New Year's Eve become "just another evening" for me?

I remember when New Year's Eve was the event of the year. My girlfriends and I would start looking for the perfect New Year's Eve Bash in November and shortly after that, I'd start planning my New Year's Eve outfit. It was THE event of the entire year. We're talking Limos, Champagne, a room at the 5-star Sutton Place Hotel downtown, dinner at a fancy restaurant - normally Cin Cin's and afterwards, dancing at a club in town, , ... I'm talking, the Works!

The last big New Year's bash that my Husband and I attended was at the Westin Bayshore in 1998. Yes, a whole 10 years ago! And what an ordeal that was! You see, that year, my Husband and I celebrated Christmas with his family in St. Catharine's, Ontario. And while we were away, Vancouver was hit by the biggest snowstorm of the century (the one this year didn't break the previous record). So, on December 26, while at the Toronto Airport to await our plane for our return to Vancouver, we found out that the storm was so large that they shut the entire city down. And since the airport was closed, we couldn't leave Toronto. We ended up staying in Toronto for another 5 days (that was the earliest flight we could get to come home). Our return flight was scheduled for December 31 - New Year's Eve. But since our Bash wasn't until 6pm, we figured that we would make it home with several hours to spare. Well, were we ever wrong!!!

The morning of our departure, a snowstorm hit Toronto. We boarded our flight but proceeded to sit on the Tarmac for another 6 hours. Needless to say, we arrived in Vancouver at 4pm. By the time we picked up our luggage and got home, we barely had enough time to change and go to our New Year's Eve party. Had the tickets not cost us $200 a piece, we would have blown the entire party off but at that price, come hell or high-water, we were going. It was a wonderful party with a fabulous 5 course dinner (including sorbets in between the salad and the main course) and dancing after. But as soon as the band completed the count down and we had our first New Year's dance, we left. By midnight, we had already been up for over 24 hours.

That was our LAST New Year's Eve party. We hadn't been another since. I mean, a real party, that is, not some get together with friends. We've had a number of get-together with our best friends since our last New Year's Bash, but each and every time we've gotten together for New Year's Eve, both Irene and I have fallen asleep on the sofa by 10pm and our husbands have literally rung in the New Year by themselves. Sad, isn't it?

So, I don't expect this evening to be any different. What are my plans, well, I'm looking forward to a nice Italian meal made by my Husband (no, he's not Italian - even though it may appear to be Italian since that's all we ever eat -be it, at home or out at a restaurant - but that's a different story), and if I'm still standing (since I do intend on having a a cocktail or two before dinner and wine with dinner), I'm going to take the tree down and put away my Christmas decorations. Oops! I forgot - I do intend on working out before dinner as well.

So, that's my plans for New Year's eve. Lame but that's what I'll enjoy doing. Long were the days when I got all decked out to ring in the New Year. While I miss those days, I love what I've got planned for the evening.

What are your plans for New Year's eve? Will you be attending a fabulous New Year's Eve Bash, spending the evening with close friends or staying home with family? I'd love to hear what you've got planned or what you did (depending on when you would have read this blog).

Wishing you and yours a safe and Happy New Year!

2 comments:

FabulousFloridaMommy said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! LOVE this post...I can COMPLETELY relate! We actually could have gone to a New Year's Eve party at church, but our youngest boys just can't stay up that late, and it's really difficult to find a sitter on holidays around here. We ended up staying in...my husband grilled hamburgers, then we put the 2 youngest to bed, DH and my oldest son chose old Clint Eastwood movies for our entertainment, so I caught up on emails and worked on the computer...way to live it up, huh??? It was still a wonderful time, even if it wasn't the glitz and glamour I imagined my life would be when I was younger. ;) I think I'll be taking down the Christmas decorations today...was going to do it yesterday, but chose to go to J.Crew instead. :)

What are your plans for today? I hope you have a FABULOUS and FUN day!!!

Crew_Girl_In_Canada said...

Thank you FFM. It sounds like you had an enjoyable New Year's Eve as well. I ended up working on the flower of my Boucle Astrid jacket instead of the tree. I can't believe I'm about to admit this but... around 10:30pm, I ended up watching Dog the Bounty Hunter until almost midnight and then our 8 year old daughter (who thinks that she's a teenager) and I stayed up to ring in the New Year.

I had a lazy day yesterday. Got up, took the tree down plus all the nutcrackers and garland. Phew! We now have our house back. I like that! Worked out and then watched 2 movies back to back. Other than that, I didn't do anything. What about you? What did you do New Year's Day?